Chapter 15: Did You Say Deaths?

"Okay, so your favorite color is blue, you have four brothers, and you don't have a middle name

"Okay, so your favorite color is blue, you have four brothers, and you don't have a middle name. None of you do. Why don't any of you have a middle name?" My hands rub the speckled grey and black coat of the well tempered horse below me. His dark black mane mirrors his owner's long dreads. The horse is obviously well loved, made apparent by his shining hair and happy disposition. I know I sure as shit wouldn't be happy if I had to carry two people and all this stuff around.

I've been telling Madoc quite a bit about culture on Earth and most of it seems to baffle him. "What do you mean a middle name?"

"Well, on Earth we get a first name, middle name, and last name. Our first name is what people call us, our middle name is just another first name you don't use, and then your last name is your family's name. Honestly, that's the only way I can think of to explain middle names. We just kind of get them, I don't actually know why."

"As a dwarf, I haven't had a lot of access to books about Earth, but I've decided it's an odd place. No offense of course, you're lovely. But, middle names seem unnecessary and I particularly don't understand why people go to beds that burn you alive."

"Yeah, when I put it that way, middle names don't really have a point and trust me, I'm there with you on tanning beds."

Tink, who has been intermittently participating in our discussion, chimes in. "Do you have a middle name?"

"Of course! On Earth it's weird not to have a middle name."

I can tell this has piqued Madoc's curiosity. "So, what is it?"

"What's what?"

"Your middle name."

A fond smile tickles my lips. "Nova. Agni Nova Rhada." I remember a time I absolutely hated my name. Nothing about it was normal. Teachers were a hot mess trying to pronounce it and that always led to a snickering class. Plus, I could never buy one of those goddamn key chains. But, my dad would always tell me that my name was as beautiful and special as me. After he died my mom would tell me stories of how long they spent picking my name out. Apparently, it was a point of extreme passion for him. So, with time, my name became something I cherished. Unless I was in trouble, then the sound of 'Agni Nova' out of my mother's mouth was enough to make me shake like a leaf. You know what, middle names do have a purpose, to scare kids shitless.

"It doesn't suit you as well as Love-bug, but I like it."

This idiot has been doing this the whole ride, randomly butting into our conversation as if he was invited. Each time has been a pathetic attempt to get me to acknowledge him. He switches tactics between compliments, questions, and annoyance. So far, I have done well keeping my cool, but good god almighty he should be glad I'm on this horse and not his. "So, Madoc, tell me more. And not more of that superficial stuff you've been sharing, I want something juicy."