Chapter 22: On the Count of Three

"You know, your face looks like it has stars on it

"You know, your face looks like it has stars on it."

I've been charting these damn stars for a couple hours now and the paper is starting to become insanely overwhelmed. You know what else is insane? Me, from Cai's nonstop badgering. I knew I would regret my decision to bring him along. Doc could have sang Hi-ho for four hours straight and it would have been less torturous.  "What are you talking about Cai?"

"Your face has freckles all over it, kind of like a sky." The whole time we've been out here, he's been telling me things about fighting and then will move on to a completely unrelated topic, a "distractor" he calls it. Only after I've been thoroughly pestered will he ask me questions about what he'd talked about. He says he's testing my retention, but I think he's just trying to annoy the hell out of me.

Attempting to beat him to the line of questioning, I turn to him. "Listen, I'm tired of talking to you, so let's just get this over with. In summary, balance, speed, maneuverability, and having a free hand. These are the advantages of having a rapier." Hopefully, my glare encourages silence. "Can you shut your pie hole now?"

"Why?"

For the hundredth time in the last two hours, I groan. "Why what? Why am I about to rip your tongue out and feed it to Alvina?"

"Why's it more balanced?" 

"The sword itself isn't more balanced. I'm more balanced than I would be with a long sword because it's less weight, which means I can throw your clumsy ass off center with my mad moves." I don't have a snowball's chance in hell doing that, considering how graceful he is. But, doesn't mean the insult is any less fun.

"Good. Speed?"

"It's easier to get going and easier to stop moving since it's smaller and weighs less. Which means, I can lunge more and stab you twice as fast."

"Control?"

"My stabs are more accurate because I can control it better at a closer range, which will benefit me when I eventually stab you in the nut sack."

"Manu-"

"Yeah yeah, it's easier to get around in small spaces, which will help if I'm ever stuck in a wall with you again." I hold up a hand to stop the comment coming out of his mouth. "And before you say anything, I have a free hand to hold another weapon, like a gun, which would make all of this so much easier." I spread my hands out in presentation. "All of this combines together, making this weapon the perfect fit for me to kick your ass."

"Good. You were listening."

My eyes roll of their own accord. "Yes, I was listening. Now, will you shut up before I punch you in the throat?"

Instead of answering, he acts like he's locking his lips and throwing away the key, which brings me to an important question: Do they have zippers here? What a sad place if they don't because zippers are one of the most convenient inventions ever. Is that an exaggeration? I don't know, you tell me how great your life would be if you didn't have zippers.