Chapter 28: Detective Agni

I'm not sure where I stand on the whole god thing

I'm not sure where I stand on the whole god thing. I've always felt like there's a higher power, but church kinda turned me off with their whole god is always good stance. I'm pretty sure he can be a huge asshole on occasion and if you say otherwise, you're lying to yourself.

Ebola, asshole move. Orange Cheetoh becoming president, MAJOR asshole move. Wasting a derrière like Cai's on a murderer- simply a crime against humanity.

As I follow his perfect butt further into the woods, I start to think about how I'll respond if he tries to murder me. Good thing is, he doesn't have the advantage of surprise. I'm keeping my guard up, ready to defend. How effective that will be is anyone's guess. 

After a couple minutes of walking, chills begin to wind their way up my legs. The sun has hidden itself behind the trees, making them glow like dying embers on a fire. I've become accustom to silence recently, but this silence is different. It cuts me to the bone. I don't hear birds chirping or small creatures pushing their way through the brush. It's as if the forest has hushed itself to listen to my investigation.

So, let's look at the evidence:

Mommy issues, huge red flag.

I haven't seen any bed wetting, but he could be hiding it.

He told me he likes squirrel stew. Squirrels are small cute animals. How did he get that meat, huh?! Maybe by being a small animal killer.

Lack of social skills displayed by grabbing naked women. That should be sign numero uno. Day one he's been tipping me off that I was with a sociopath!

Maybe his name is a clue! Mordecai starts with mor and mortem means dead in Latin, so ya know. There's some solid evidence.

Also, he still hasn't told us his prophecy. Which, if you ask me, is complete bull shit. For all we know he's been drawing that tattoo on and is an imposter who doesn't even have a prophecy! I mean it makes sense that I didn't get a weird dream because I'm not from here, but he doesn't have that excuse. 

'But Agni,' you may say, 'A crazy wouldn't worry about your health and he's been annoyingly insistent about your well being.'

You know, inner voices, maybe not, but maybe this is a Hansel and Gretel situation. The witch wanted to fatten them up before she ate them.

I'll get to the bottom of this. Detective Agni on the case!

"We can set up here."

I look up and see a small clearing in the trees, enough for me to see at least. The un-sub sets my bag on the ground and looks at me expectantly when I don't make a move towards it. "Are you going to start?"

Pausing, I searching his face for any obvious signs of his intentions. "So, when you say you 'killed your sister'," I throw up my air quotes and his face immediately falls, "was it like a Jack the Ripper situation or more of a 'kid finds a loaded gun' thing."