Chapter 12: Red Suits Her Best

We spend the day just hanging around Madoc's shop

We spend the day just hanging around Madoc's shop. Tinkerbell is sitting in the corner doing, what looks like, meditations. Flowers appear and then disappear infront of her as she has them float around in different shapes. She said that she finds comfort in it, so we've left her be. Alvina is going through the premise trying to find anything that may be of use for us to bring, at least that's what she says she's doing. It seems to me like an excuse to occasionally voice judgements on Madoc's living situation. So far, she has verbally insulted his lack of books, the status of his unmade bed in the back, and the absence of clothes that aren't covered in soot. Madoc doesn't seem bothered by her comments and continues to clank away at my new sword. I find myself sitting next to Cai on a bench near the fire, Cai occasionally asking questions about the various weapons he makes and I just watch the fascinating way the metal contorts at every clang of the mallet. The look of intense concentration that is on his face doesn't show any signs of satisfaction or love for what he is doing.

           A desire to understand what he is thinking rises within me. "Do you enjoy working as a back smith?"

            The clanking pauses for a moment before resuming. "It is in a dwarf's nature to work with their hands. This job is what my father did and his father before him."

            "That didn't really answer if you enjoy it."

            His shoulders tense up and his focus on his sword intensifies. "It's what I'm meant to do." As quick as the tension came, it is released. "What color do you think best suits you?"

            My eyebrows draw together in confusion over the change in topic.

            "Red." I turn to Cai, startled that he answered the question instantly. He had been relatively quiet until this point. "Red suits her best."

            "Agni?"

            I don't turn away from Cai. He is staring me in the eyes boldly, as if challenging me to say differently. I'd like to disagree with him, just out of principal, but red is my favorite color and I've decided I want my sword to be as bad ass as possible. So, I just nod in response.

            The rest of the evening continues on like this until I peek down at my wrist and notice that the number has changed to 119. "Well, I think that means it's time to go to bed. Madoc where do you want us? I assume you're going to sleep in your bed."

            "Oh no, we need to leave tomorrow, preferably before my customer comes to pick up his new daggers at five. I'll be staying up tonight working. Don't worry about me, dear Agni. You all can sleep wherever you like." I open my mouth to protest that he needs sleep too, but he turns around and continues working.

            I spin on my heel, prepared to find somewhere fit to sleep, but of course Alvina has already passed out on the bed, if you can even call it that. In the back room of the smithery, there is a small living area. In the center of the room there is a sack of hay on the ground shaped like a mattress, wrapped in what appears to be burlap. A thick wool blanket is laid on top of Alvina and she's slightly snoring. Somehow, she looks peaceful when she's like this, deep in sleep. It's interesting that she's so content when this is the very bed she was bitching about earlier.