Chapter 13: Again

"That sounds a lot like a challenge Cai bear, and I never step down from a challenge

"That sounds a lot like a challenge Cai bear, and I never step down from a challenge. Didn't we learn that already?" I stare him straight in his deep emerald eyes, daring him to do something, just like he did in the river yesterday. It's only one day later and it seems he hasn't learned his lesson.

            "You're playing with fire here Love-bug, it's a fight you can't win." He releases my hand and takes a step back. A smirk graces his face and he stands up straight, putting his hands behind him. "First, we need to teach you to throw an appropriate punch. That right there," he gestures to my still balled up fist, "that was child's play."

            I can't help the involuntary eye roll that causes me to take a good look at my brain. "Alright, Chuck Norris, show me your ways." I bow at the waist, hands folded, in the most exaggerated way possible.

            "I don't know who Chuck Norris is, but I'm sure that was a smart-ass comment."

            "Oh, believe me, it was."

            Tink's voice floats in from the back room, "Excuse me Cai, would you mind terribly," she pauses and opens her mouth before closing it and looking away. "You know what, never mind."

            Cai gives her a soft tone, like he is trying not to scare off an injured animal. "No, what is it Mel?"

            "I just thought that maybe, um, maybe I could learn too." Her words come out faster, matching her darting eyes, as she goes along. "I know that I have magic, but what if something happens and I can't use it. I'm not much of a fighter, but..." She stops when she sees our stunned faces. "Never mind, it was silly of me." Rubbing her arm, she casts her glance to the floor, as if counting each individual piece of ash scattered all over it.

            "No no, Mel! I think it is a good idea. Maybe Madoc would be a better match for you to spar with, height wise."

            A beaming smile breaks out across her face and she nods enthusiastically, looking like a bobble head. I can't help the smile that spreads across my cheeks.

            "Did I just hear my name?" Madoc walks up behind us, beads of sweat pouring from his hair line and soaking his soot covered shirt.

            "Yes! Cai said that maybe you can teach me to fight! I mean, that's if you don't mind. I understand if you would rather not." She looks toward me as she is bowing her head and I make a gesture for her to stand up straight. Even though she straightens out her posture, the same self conscious look remains in her eyes.

            "Of course, I would be honored! I have a moment right now while the sword is cooling. It should be done in an hour or so." There is nothing better suited for Tink than Madoc's upbeat attitude. Sleepy wasn't the correct dwarf, the jubilation he expresses makes him more like Happy.