Chapter 27: Don't Come Without Backup

There is a typo in the graphic. It should say days LEFT, not in

I hold my tongue, unsure of what I should allow to come out of my mouth

I hold my tongue, unsure of what I should allow to come out of my mouth. There's no way that what I heard is what was said, and I could sound like a real dick if I imply that's what I heard. I think my best bet is to wait for him to clarify. Surely he will if I don't say anything... right?

I get my answer when, what feels like, an hour is full of nothing but stiff muscles and quiet breathing. He's obviously not going to volunteer any more information.

What could he mean by saying he killed her? How could I have misinterpreted this? He may be annoying, but there's no way he's a murderer. I guess he could have bugged her to death, lord knows I've thought he'd do that to me couple of times.

Cai, a murderer? No way.

But then again, Ted Bundy seemed chill. 

As the sun begins to set, Madoc slows down, the rest of us following suit. The dismounting process is as quiet as a mouse fart. By that I mean no noise except Tink whispering sweet nothings to the horse. To be fair, I've never heard a mouse fart, but I imagine it sounds like a whisper of wind.

As I try really hard to think about mouse flatulence for the first time in my life, the harsh reality of the words 'I killed her' keeps interrupting. I'd much rather think about lactose intolerant Mickey after a couple ice cream cones than the possibility that I'm sleeping next to this world's version of a Criminal Minds unsub.

Bark scratches my back as I settle in to observe Cai. He doesn't seem angry as he unloads the bed rolls. Aren't murderers angry, or not loved by their moms? Gabrielle was super into all that murder stuff and she always talked about how it stems from mommy issues. So, if he has a good relationship with his mom there's no way he killed Ana on purpose.

"Psst. Tink!" I frantically wave for Mel to come over. She gives one last pat to calm Madoc's horse and walks my way. I put a finger in front of my lips, signaling her to be quiet.

"Are you alright?" Her eyebrows draw together in concern.

"Yeah yeah, fine," if fine means being the impromptu heroine of a murder mystery in the middle of having to save a random world. "Can you ask Cai something for me?"

"Of course. His favorite flower? Are you wanting to make him a bouquet so you can make amends?" Innocence lights her face.

"I need you to ask him about his mom."

"What?"

"Are they close? Does he love her? All that mushy jazz you would know how to bring out of someone."

Confusion once again paints her features. "Why?"

"Trust me Tink. This is important information. Report back when you find out. Don't tell him I sent you." I mutter under my breath "Murderers get antsy when the investigation gets too close."