07 | timing

A/N

yay new chapter!! i'm so excited for you guys to read this. the first scene really got me :')

on a side note, i've released a graphic shop for those of you who are interested in requesting covers! it is open and i would love to design something for you. you can find the book on my profile for details :)

enjoy, and as always, take care and get rest <3

with all my love,

krissy

○

JULY 2007

ON THE EVE of Jimin's departure, eomma's smuggled rice wine tastes sour.

It's in a thick fogged-up glass bottle that I've stolen from the kitchen cupboard, and it tastes like absolute shit. I wince from the sting, releasing a sharp breath, see the liquid sloshing inside.

I'm stretched out across a blanket draped haphazardly over the worn couch. All its balled-up sweaters and lint-covered coats have been pushed to one side. The paint-stained green table--the hard piece of furniture that marks the center of this junkyard of a rooftop--remains bare. The Busan neighborhood spills out around us, a sea of sleepy, sparkling streetlight.

I lean back and tip the bottle back for another long, terrible sip. It's cloudy today, no stars to see. Just a blistered moon and an ugly purplish haze, as if some foul-smelling tobacco has fogged up the silky midnight.

Footsteps arrive at the top of the stairs. Jimin strides across the rooftop, hair in a tousled mess. Layers of jackets broaden his narrow shoulders, and a fat duffel bumps against his thigh, slung across the rumpled shirt covering his chest. The silver chain around his neck swings angrily.

My eyes trail him as he storms to the cooler by the dirt-stained shelves, snatching Ramuné and Melona popsicles. I move my legs just as he plops down on the other end of the couch. Sets down the Ramuné bottle with a furious thump.

His eyes are bloodshot from tears as he rips open the popsicle wrapper.

"What?" I prod, pushing myself up. "Was it that bad?"

He just shakes his head, gaze wandering the air with fury.

I release a heavy sigh. Park Eunmi--his mother--is not a woman who took nicely to Jimin's decision to leave. I know, especially after witnessing his father leaving years ago. And now that Jimin really is going, that his bus ticket to Seoul is for tomorrow morning...