18 | lie

A/N

chapter 18! we're look at about seven more chapters left, things are gonna escalate real soon. hang in there ;)

as always, thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading. a vote and/or a comment would be greatly appreciated as well :)

sending you all the best,

krissy

○

MARCH 2014

IT'S EASY TO trust a man if you don't know his history.

When Seo Jaeseok meets me for the first time, he isn't a district attorney or a widowed man corrupted by the thirst for money. He is a father.

He invites me to meet him at a high-end coffee shop on the hilly edges of Gangnam. The shop itself is a two-story monster of dark, sweeping grandeur with a mezzanine that overlooks an elaborate brewery gleaming with silver espresso machines and pumps. Thin hangul script gleams an umber orange neon against black paneled wood, casting a trembling glow across our faces. It's late at night, past closing. He's reserved this space for only us.

"Consider it a kind of safety measure I do for anyone who draws close to my son," says Jaeseok, pulling his coat around his heavy stature. "He's a sensitive boy, and more than enough politicians and reporters have taken advantage of him. For obvious purposes."

He raises an eyebrow, and I laugh, but it comes out too shallow. "Right."

Silence falls. The black floors have been polished so pristinely the light reflects off its surface as if on rippling water. A trail of vintage blues slips into my ears, and I try to match my heartbeat to its deep, thrumming bass.

Two steaming black mugs of dark roast coffee sit between us. Jaeseok runs a thumb across a stain on his. "What is it you study again?"

"Gaming design," I answer. "Actually, I've been doing interviews with EA South Korea. For an entry position on their illustration team."

Jaeseok smiles. The fatherly wrinkles on his round face crease warmly. "Ah, so you're talented in the arts. You know, I know one or two notable figures in the industry who could give you a boost."

"Oh, I couldn't accept that..."

"Kim Woobin, for one," he continues. "Now, that man is an anxious one, but he'd love to hire you—"

My face brightens. "I met him yesterday. He'll be interviewing me in a few days."

"Would you like a good word?"