11 | without

A/N

there's a lot of bts references in this one.  i had a bit of trouble writing this chapter, so let me know your thoughts!

a quick note that in the beginning scene, which is set in 2017, nari and minseok are still dating.

with that aside, happy reading and have a wonderful day

all my love,

krissy

○

NOVEMBER 2, 2017

SOMEONE IS SCREAMING.

Or rather, shouting—cries of ragged anguish tear apart the air so viciously it sends terror lancing down my spine. It comes from within Minseok's apartment.

Breathless from running, I pound on the door as neighbors peer out their doors. "Minseok," I shout. Something crashes within as I knock again with frantic fists. "Seo Minseok!"

Silence falls. In the absence of his cries, my own breaths echo in my ears, accompanied by the nervous whispers of neighbors. Of all things, I never expected this from Minseok, this wild and uncontrolled pain ripping through him. My hands shakes as I try his keycode.

The door's lock clicks open with a beep. Chest heaving, I throw the door open and rush inside.

My blood turns cold.

His apartment, once the epitome of wealth, looks like shattered glass.

Framed photos of family and friends have been torn off the foyer walls. Beer is splattered haphazardly across dark-washed wood. Cracked cans and glass shards wink like a trail of tears, curving into a living room as damaged as broken mirrors.

In the center of disarranged couches is Minseok. On his knees. Head pressed to the floor. Knuckles white as he grasps his hair.

I pause with fear.

For all the years I've known him, Minseok has only shown me perfectly crafted charisma—even in his anger and his disappointment, he's remained silent. Guarded. Controlled. To see him like this, unhinged, as if a thread has snapped inside him...

I realize, with a cold pang, that I don't know him at all.

"Minseok," my mouth says, unable to say anything else.

If he hears me, he gives no indication. And when my bag drops to my feet and I cross the room, falling to my knees beside him, I realize he is speaking. Softly, almost inaudibly, to himself.