23 | havoc

A/N

wrote this a while ago but looking back, it's intense lol. hang in there!

and as always, thank you for reading :')

all my love,

krissy

THE FIRST THING I hear is Kaede's laugh

THE FIRST THING I hear is Kaede's laugh. It carries an annoyed, anxious tremor. "You have to be kidding me."

"Right?" grumbles a staff member. "Just as we're packing up..."

"Dal.komm's lucky they left an hour ago."

Only a sliver of slate grey light slashes through the dark--it's the security light from the library lobby, reaching us from across the shapes of study tables beyond. I meet Kaede's eyes and open my mouth to give a command--

The speaker system crackles to life. "Everyone, there's been a blackout from the storm..."

"No shit," someone whispers.

"...and the library is experiencing technical difficulties. We will be closing early in half an hour. University security has been called if you need escorts to your dorms. We apologize for the inconvenience."

"How kind of them," says another staff member, "but who will escort us and our equipment to our cars?"

I keep my voice firm. "We can handle the equipment. The screens and tables are borrowed, and we sold out most of the stuff. We'll just roll out the rest of it on a dolly."

"Did you borrow one of the EA vans?" asks Kaede.

"Ong," says a woman. There's a jangle of keys. "Just one big van."

"Nari, can you drive the van to the drop-off zone? I heard they closed the entrance to the north parking lot."

My heart jumps to my throat. All I can hear is Minseok's voice, an incessant echo. Prelude. Prelude. Prelude. "The drop-off zone?"

Everyone stops, as if surprised at the doubtful, almost fearful quality of my voice. So unlike me. A disbelieving laugh bubbles from Kaede's throat. "Yes. Why?" she says. "Are you scared of the dark? Our fearless Yoo Nari?"

Irritated at myself, I snatch the keys from Kaede's outstretched hand. "Funny."

"Umbrella," offers an intern.

I take it gratefully, shake off the water from it, and in the process, shake off Minseok's ridiculous words.

"Fifteen minutes. East entrance," adds Kaede again. Then they dissolve into conversation, my presence forgotten. I roll my eyes and brace myself for the cold, umbrella in hand like a sheathed weapon.