Meeting The Villagers

A/n I know this took a while, but once my courses started again I didn't have a lot of time to work in it. it seems like it's just been one assignment after another. anyway, you don't want to listen to me whine so I'll just say that this chapter is longer than usual, enjoy.

Roran's point of view

As I entered Horst's forge I could see that he was there, along with Delwin, Gedric, and then Loring. The rest of the group also included Baldor, Loring's three sons, Parr, and Quimby's boy, Nolfavrell, who was only thirteen.

They all turned to look as I entered the assembly. Horst said, "Ah, you made it. You escaped misfortune while in the Spine?"

"I was lucky."

"Then we can proceed."

"With what, exactly?" I asked as I hitched the mare to an anvil.

Loring answered,  "We have attempted reason with these Ra'zac... these invaders." He stopped, his thin frame racked with an unpleasant, metallic wheeze deep in his chest. "They have refused reason. They have endangered us all with no sign of remorse or contrition." He made a noise in his throat, then said with pronounced deliberation, "They... must... go. Such creatures—" 

"No," I said, "Not creatures. Desecrators."

Everyone nodded in agreement. Delwin picked up the thread of conversation: "The point is, everyone's life is at stake. If that fire had spread any farther, dozens of people would have been killed and those who escaped would have lost everything they own. As a result, we've agreed to drive the Ra'zac away from Carvahall. Will you join us?"

I hesitated, "What if they return or send for reinforcements? We can't defeat the entire Empire."

"No," said Horst, grave and solemn, "but neither can we stand silent and allow the soldiers to kill us and to destroy our property. A man can endure only so much abuse before he must strike back."

Loring laughed, throwing back his head so the flame gilded the stumps of his teeth. "First we fortify," he whispered with glee, "then we fight. We'll make them regret they ever clapped their festering eyes on Carvahall! Ha ha!"

I was going to agree to their plan, but there was one more thing I had to say before we start to put it into action. I knew I needed to tell everyone about Percy and how he had offered to help us. Due to that, I would need to convince everyone that they could trust him even though they hadn't even met him yet.

After I met him I had eventually decided to trust him even though I thought he seemed slightly odd. As I talked to him more I noticed that he used words or phrases that I was unfamiliar with. I was usually able to realize what he meant, but I was slightly confused about why his speech would be different than mine. We clearly spoke the same language, so I couldn't help but wonder about his strange way of speaking. I decided to ask him about that later since right now I needed to tell the other villagers about him.

I said, "I agree with your plan, however, there is something else you need to know,"

I explained how I had met Percy the night before and it had seemed like he knew almost nothing about the empire. I also told them that he claimed to have lived in the spine for many years. As I told them all that I could tell that his story about living in the spine didn't sit well with some of them, and I hadn't liked it either but from what I'd seen of Percy so far, he seemed normal enough and I just felt like I could trust him. Now I knew that meant I would have to convince Horst and the others to trust him as well and I knew that wouldn't be an easy task.

After I told them more about Percy and said that he was willing to help us they eventually decided to agree to meet him. Since Percy was waiting outside until we were ready for him I left the forge long enough to tell him to join us. After I re-entered the forge with Percy the other villagers looked at him and then immediately began questioning him themselves. After they asked many questions it seemed like they had decided to give him a chance even though his story about living in the spine clearly made them hesitate.