Around The Campfire Part 1

Percy's Point of view

The dying remnants of the fire we had built cast a dim red light over the surrounding area, revealing a patch of rocky soil, a few pewter-gray bushes, the indistinct shape of a juniper tree farther off, then nothing.

Eragon sat with his bare feet extended toward the fire, with his back propped against the knobby scales of Saphira's thick right foreleg. Agrios and I were in a similar position a little off to his left. Opposite us, Roran sat on the iron-hard, sun-bleached, wind-worn shell of an ancient tree trunk.

For the moment, it was quiet within the hollow. Even the coals smoldered in silence; Roran And I had collected only long-dead branches that lacked any moisture to eliminate any smoke that unfriendly eyes might spot.

I had just finished recounting the day's activities to Agrios, I was sure Eragon had done the same with Saphira since we had kept our minds carefully shielded during the scouting expedition, with the exception of when Eragon searched for Katrina in Helgrind.

I noticed when Eragon picked up the hawthorn staff that lay by his side. He seemed to be admiring it. I knew Roran had given it to him before we left to come here, but I wasn't sure what had made Eragon decide to take the staff instead of getting a new sword. I would have given him the sword I'd taken from the soldier in carvahall, but I had given that to Reyna After I had gotten my new rider's sword from Hecate.

I was still telepathically conversing with Agrios about tomorrow and whether we could succeed at killing the ra'zac, the lethrblaka, and save Katrina. I also wondered about what the Ra'zac had done with Sloan, had they eaten him when he was of no further use to them? I had no clue but I wondered if we would find him in Helgrind as well. Eragon hadn't mentioned sensing him there, but who knows, I guess I would probably find out tomorrow.

I was mostly concerned about Roran and Agrios. Sure Roran can fight there was no doubt about that, but the ra'zac are stronger and faster than he is, but then again if he ends up in trouble Eragon or I will probably be able to help him. As for Agrios he isn't even fully grown. So I wasn't sure he could win against the lethrblaka. I knew Saphira would probably help him but I was still worried.

It seemed like he noticed the direction my thoughts had gone since he tried to ease my worries. He said, "Don't worry so much, little one, I may not be fully grown, but I am also not a hatchling. with the others' help we can do this,"

"Just promise me you'll be careful," I said

he did and asked the same of me in return. and I also promised I would. Sure we didn't promise on the river Styx or in the ancient language, but I knew we would both at least try to keep our promises.

my mind flashed back to the morning after the massive battle on the Burning Plains—when the Varden were busy regrouping and preparing to march after the Empire's army, which had retreated several leagues up the Jiet River—Eragon and I had gone to Nasuada and Arya, explained Roran's predicament, and Eragon needed their permission to help Roran.he didn't succeed. Both women vehemently opposed what Nasuada described as "a harebrained scheme that will have catastrophic consequences for everyone in Alagaësia if it goes awry!"

The debate raged on for so long, at last Saphira had interrupted with a roar that shook the walls of the command tent. Then she said,I am sore and tired, and Eragon and Percy are doing a poor job of explaining themselves. We have better things to do than stand around yammering like jackdaws, no? . . . Good, now listen to me."

Of course Agrios agreed with every word she said, and added a few of his own thoughts on the subject. Clearly It was difficult to argue with a dragon. I technically didn't have to ask permission to go help Roran. I had just gone with Eragon to inform Nasuada that I would be going.