Teirm

Percy's Point of View

During the trip to Teirm I helped on the Merrybell. Since I was the son of the sea god, I was good at it and I occasionally found myself completing tasks before Torson even told me to do so. This meant that my abilities at sea caught his attention. When he asked me if I had previous experience at sea, I came up with a half truth and told him that my father was a sailor and he'd taught me everything he knew. Of course, any of the villagers who overheard that conversation knew that what I was saying was almost a complete lie, but I knew they weren't going to tell Torson the truth. As much as I enjoyed being at sea, I missed being able to be near my dragon most of the time.

A week or two before we'd reached Narda I'd found out that my dragon was male and after I'd come to that realisation I'd listed some possible names to see if he would like any of them. I'd listed different possibilities before he finally chose one. I'd listed some ancient Greek words, some Ancient Greek names, as well as a few Latin words and Names since I'd picked up a little Latin during my time at Camp Jupiter. I'd also listed a few slightly more normal names that weren't from ancient languages.

In the end, it seemed he'd settled on the word Ágrios and I suspected that choice had something to do with what the word meant. Now that we were traveling to Teirm I rarely saw him since we couldn't risk the sailors seeing him. Most of the time he was still close enough that we could communicate with our minds, but if he needed to hunt, or to stop and rest we would usually end up losing contact.

Our connection seemed to be growing stronger, and as time went on it seemed that the distance apart we could be while still being able to communicate grew. Something else I'd noticed was that now that I had grown a beard, I looked even more like my father than before. I wasn't exactly thrilled about that, but I tried not to think about it too much.

Now I think everyone is eager to reach Teirm since we had all gotten tired of being on Clovis' barges. Much to everyone's relief we were nearly there according to Torson. Once we were close enough that the city was within walking distance Roran got Clovis, Torson, and Flint to beach the barges so we could all get off and set up a camp.

After the barges were beached, we did just that. The villagers were in better shape than they were when we reached Narda since they'd managed to get some rest during the trip but exposure to the elements and stress were still a problem.

Eventually, after the camp was set up Roran gathered some of the villagers and me to go into Teirm in hopes of finding a ship we could take to Surda.

Before we left for Teirm Roran had us accompany him to Horst's tent, where he said, "The six we agreed upon will leave now, before it gets much later. Horst will take my place while I'm gone. Remember that your most important task is to ensure Clovis doesn't leave with the barges or damage them in any way. They may be our only means to reach Surda."

"That, and make sure we aren't discovered," commented Orval.

"Exactly. If none of us have returned by nightfall day after tomorrow, assume we were captured. Take the barges and set sail for Surda, but don't stop in Kuasta to buy provisions; the Empire will probably be lying in wait there. You'll have to find food elsewhere."

Roran and I were the first ones to arrive on the hill where the group of us that would be going into Teirm was meeting. When Loring, Gertrude, Birgit, and Nolfavrell, Birgit's son, arrived, Roran said, "We have to wait for Mandel; he'll be joining us."

"What for?" demanded Loring.

Birgit frowned as well. "I thought we agreed no one else should accompany us. Especially not Mandel, since he was seen in Narda. It's dangerous enough having you, Gertrude, and Percy along, and Mandel only increases the odds that someone will recognize us."