09| what are best-friends for?

to myloyaltiesliewithhp for spamming me with all the love in the world for my writing :')

|Chapter 09|

| what are best friends for? |

BREE was finally done with all her classes the next Monday, the previous week having flown past within the blink of an eye. There had been little to no interaction between her and Nick, almost as if he was avoiding her.

Preoccupied with thoughts of a boy who she knew was best left to his own devices, while walking across campus grounds to get to the girl's dorms, Bree was caught off guard when someone crashed into her from behind.

Bree knew who it was when the person squealed, wrapping their arms around Bree in a bone-crushing hug, and engulfing her with the familiar scent of papaya shower gel.

"Claire, darling, I'd rather not die of suffocation," she said breathlessly as she patted Claire's hand that was wrapped around her neck.

"But I've missed you!" She tightened her hug for a few seconds before finally letting go of Bree.

Bree looked at her with an innocent expression. "I'm sorry, who was it that declined my offer to come home during the weekend and then took off like they were running for their lives?"

Claire rolled her eyes. "I wasn't that bad. Plus, I didn't take off for no reason -- I'd just realised that I left my half finished assignment under the table and any--"

"Again?" Bree asked incredulously. "You did that the week before last too! You left your assignment on your desk, and then ran away while speaking to me because you remembered all of a sudden!"

"Oh who gives a rat's ass," Claire grumbled, "that's not the point here. Besides, that was on Friday -- today is Monday! That's two whole days and a half of not seeing you!"

"Well, you don't go home on weekends, I do," Bree said dryly, "so of course you had to wait till today to see me."

Claire grabbed her hand and they began walking into the dorm building. "Why can't you just embrace your newfound freedom and independency and just stay at the frigging dorms?"

Bree chuckled and shook her head. "What does embracing my independency have to do with cutting down on my visits to mum? Or Maya? Freedom doesn't necessarily mean ditching family, yeah?"

Claire let out a blow of air, the strands in front of her forehead flying away due to the impact. "Okay, Mother Teresa; how about we snap out of the philosophical mode, yeah?"