14| everybody needs somebody

to voidxoxowriter, who will never know just how much their support is appreciated❤

|Chapter 14|

| everybody needs somebody |

NICK had immediately driven back to the O'Connell house that day, missing out on the rest of his classes. A part of him felt guilty because he hadn't informed Dale, who'd made it very clear he needed to see off Nick every goddamn time.

But the guilt went away when Dale sent him a text saying he was sorry and that he'd be busy the entire evening because there was a sudden practice session crammed into his already tight schedule for the day.

Nick was sort of glad that he had the place to himself. Mrs O'Connell rarely ever disturbed him and as much as he was secretly fond of Dale's company, he had wanted to be by himself the rest of that day.

But here he was again, standing directly in front of the college steps, his backpack feeling as if it weighed a ton against his back, fighting to drag him down.

"Hey, Fraser!" he heard an unfamiliar voice shout and then heavy footsteps approached him. Nick cursed in his head, swearing to kill Chase if anyone else tried "befriending" him.

Nick's eyes landed on the dark-haired guy at the back of professor Howard's class -- the one who'd smirked when he'd told those two chatterboxes off.

"No, I'm not interested," Nick told him bluntly when he was in earshot.

The guy stopped in his tracks when he was close enough and just stared at Nick, blinking once. "And I'm not planning on asking you out so chill."

Nick almost cracked a smile at that -- almost, but as typical of him as it was, he suppressed it.

"You can tell Chase that--"

"I'm not part of his... group, or clique, or whatever it is that they call it these days."

Nick narrowed his eyes at the boy, trying to figure out whether he was lying or not. Nick couldn't come to a conclusion but it didn't matter; he wasn't going to give the dude the benefit of the doubt. He wasn't going to trust a soul, especially now that Bree's friend knew the second-most crucial thing about him and could spill the beans to anyone.

For a moment, his mind lingered on Bree.

Did she know now too? Was she regretting ever trying to become his friend?

"I don't like it when people interrupt me while I'm speaking," Nick found himself saying. Really, though. It was the most infuriating thing on earth to him.