31| what the heart wants

for -Divya- because support like that makes me want to keep writing even on the worst of days<3

| Chapter 31 |

what the heart wants |

Having grabbed her laundry from her dorm, along with other study materials she'd need over the weekend, Bree was finally set to go.

Except this time, she wasn't making that trip alone.

And it was both weird and exciting all at the same time.

Focus. Bree chided herself. She needed to speak to Nick about something else entirely -- something that mattered, something important.

"All good?" Nick's voice filled what space there was within the small vehicle, gliding smoothly over Bree's skin as she settled into her seat.

Bree nodded, "yeah. We can leave." At her nod, Nick started driving away from the dormitory building Bree resided in, the headlights casting a glow on the streets ahead of them.

A discomforting silence weighed down on them, the only sounds coming either from Nick's occasional tapping of the steering wheel, or the honks of other vehicles driving down the same road.

"Um," Bree started, her fingers twitching despite her efforts to clasp her hands tightly together. "Okay, so--"

"Relax," Nick murmured, sparing her a brief glance from the corner of his eye. And then, in a quieter voice, almost mumbling under his breath, "there's no rush."

To say Bree was surprised would be an understatement. She'd thought Nick would want to get it out in the open as soon as possible, that he'd have wanted to fast forward through whatever conversation she was about to initiate.

"Th-thanks," she blinked, staring at her clasped hands. "I guess."

There was a deep sigh from him as the car slowed to a stop, the vehicles in front not moving an inch as the traffic lights continued to burn a neon red.

"I hate it when you do that," Nick said in a quiet voice, and Bree found a solemn expression on his face when she turned to look at him.

"When I do what?" She asked, half confused and half self-conscious.

There was a beat of silence. Then another. "When you're taken aback or surprised," he responded eventually, "after I say something that's considerate and works in your favour."

There was another silence.

"It makes me feel like..." Nick paused, "...like you don't even expect that much from me." His face twisted, something like irritation and longing blurring together.