12| lessons learnt the irreparable way

to Mahawael <3 your love and support is forever appreciated :')

|Chapter 12|

| lessons learnt the irreparable way|

NICK quickened his pace as he made a beeline for the car Dale owned but had left back for Nick to use, his eyes zeroing in on it and blocking out all else.

He couldn't see anything but red. He couldn't hear anything but the thunderous beats of his heart. He couldn't feel anything but the blood rushing through his veins like wildfire.

He wanted to kill her. That bloody, vile bitch who had no clue what she just did. How she so casually and remorselessly broke open the damned floodgates of emotions and memories he tried so, so fucking hard to bury.

He wanted to break something. Hit something. Smash something. He wanted to scream his lungs out and punch the shit out of anything, even fucking concrete if he could.

He. Just. Needed. To. Let. It. All. Out.

Yanking open the car door, he threw his bag in, slamming the door afterwards. Nick knew if he stayed a moment longer, he was going to smash in the glass of the windshield, so he took off running instead.

He ran, and ran, and ran.

He channelled all his anger and rage into each kick of his leg and swing of his arms as he zoomed out of the parking lot, of the campus grounds and along the pavements.

Kicking his legs faster and faster, he didn't let himself stop.

Her words echoed in Nick's head and he couldn't seem to outrun them-- are you going to beat the shit out of me too?

Nick suppressed the scream aching to be let out, feeling like it was ripping the insides of his throat. He hated her; he didn't know who she was, just that she was Bree's friend, but god, he loathed her with everything in him.

How'd she even know? If she'd asked him whether he was going to beat the shit out of her, he would have understood the challenging tone. But she had phrased it differently. She'd said: "are you going to beat the shit out of me too?"

That single word at the end gave everything a whole other meaning, brought down everything Nick had been keeping at bay like an avalanche on his shoulders. Shoulders that were already carrying the weight of the world.

Finn's face popped into his head and Nick lost his balance, missed his footing and went stumbling forward until he crashed on his knees.

Nick just knelt there, hands balled up into fists by his sides as he fumed, his chest rising and falling heavily. He looked around him, not wanting anyone to witness him like this. When his eyes took in the winding path he'd ended up on, the line of trees cutting off his view to the other side and vice versa, he felt secure enough.