44| and every other piece

to ruelshawn ❤

to ruelshawn

| Chapter 44 |

| and every other piece |

The spring semester began towards the end of January, bringing back Bree to the second half of her first year at college.

It felt unexpectedly refreshing, standing there on the front steps of the Engineering block and knowing that she was in for an entire semester without Chase or Alec. A whole semester without running into one of them, being threatened, being hurt or manhandled, without having to see them pick apart yet another life... Bree's mouth curved up involuntarily into a smile that was aimed at herself.

She felt a presence behind her at the same time that she heard his voice. "Hey," the greeting fell on Bree's ears in the very breath that Nick's fingers swept away her hair and pressed his nose into the side of her neck, kissing her shoulder. "Hey," he murmured into the stretch of bare skin again.

Bree whirled around, blinking at him in a sort of daze, realising that Chase and Alec's absence wasn't the only thing she was being gifted with this whole semester -- but Nick too. Nick's hands for her to hold; Nick's jaw for her to kiss; Nick's body for her to embrace; Nick's mind for her to undress. Just Nick -- the whole of him, as hers and hers alone.

"Hey," she grinned back, leaning forward to brush her lips against the corner of his mouth.

"Why do you look extra happy?" Nick's voice was suspicious, but the narrowed gaze his eyes held was playful.

"Oh, you know, just the usual," Bree's smile widened, her cheeks feeling like they were about to explode, "me thinking of sneaking into janitor closets with you."

Nick's cheeks visibly coloured, the furious blush flaring up all too quickly, and he threw Bree such a loaded look that she burst out laughing.

"Oh my god," he said under his breath, eyes darting around the campus. "Oh god, I don't know you. Stay away." And then Nick began walking up the short flight of steps into the building, pointedly leaving Bree behind.

Bree was still laughing as she pulled the strap of her bag higher and followed to catch up with him.

"Oh, come on," she snorted once she'd reached Nick and slipped an arm around his waist. "I was just kidding."

"You're embarassing," Nick mumbled, shaking his head to himself as the rosy tint lingered on his cheeks. "I didn't sign up for this."

"Oh yes, you did," Bree bumped her hip into his, "you signed up for the entire package, Grumpy."

Nick's eyes snapped to hers with alarm. "Gru--? You know, I think I'd like a raincheck." But even as he said it, he lifted an arm and wrapped it around her shoulders, pulling her further into his side.