56| love is sacrifice

to live_loveandsmile ❤

| Chapter 56 |

love is sacrifice |

Nick found Michael perched on that same step in front of his dorm building as the first time he'd seen his brother here.

"Someone's going to see you," Nick muttered in passing as he walked up the steps, not wanting to stop by and acknowledge Mike in an open area.

He heard footsteps behind him and figured Mike must have followed suit.

"And?" Michael's voice questioned from behind Nick. "The people here are all for the glorious college life -- you know, sororities, high stress levels, and rape culture. I doubt any of them would be able to associate my face with the cartel, even if they are aware of the organisation's existence."

Nick processed his brother's words, recalling that Bree had seemed to know about the Crawford cartel too, yet hadn't recognised Michael when they'd run into him that afternoon. Maybe his brother had a point -- even if someone here had seen Mike's picture on any article, what were the chances that they'd instantly connect him to the son of Frank Crawford? What were the odds of someone seeing Mike and knowing with complete certainty that he was the son of a renown drug kingpin?

The door of the room Nick stayed in swung open once he unlocked it, and he stepped aside for Mike to enter first, wanting to look out for any prying eyes.

Michael just rolled his eyes as if telling Nick he was being unnecessarily paranoid which only caused him to glare at the guy. "Can you just fucking get in?"

"Is that any way to speak to your big brother?"

When Nick scowled at him, Michael sighed and surrendered, disappearing into the room as Nick searched the empty hallway once again before following suit.

"It was still a risk," Nick said once the door had shut and he turned around to face his brother, "Just sitting out there in the open like that."

"I told you I'd be seeing you again."

Nick sighed. "Yes. I just didn't think you meant literally in the same way."

Mike shrugged, holding Nick's eyes for a long moment before something like a smile graced his lips.

"What?" Nick narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

Michael just shook his head. "It's nice," he murmured, "seeing you again, I mean. Some days, it was like you'd been at the breakfast table just hours ago, and some days... it felt like you'd been gone years." Mike's eyes flickered away, "I'm not sorry if my presence here has somehow turned your life upside down -- not when it means I'm getting to see you again."