37| it all falls down

for Annfictastic ❤

for Annfictastic

| Chapter 37 |

it all falls down |

"Out of all the places in this part of South Carolina," Nick muttered under his breath as he and Dale stepped into The Quake and that familiar chime rang above their heads.

The sound reminded Nick of the very first time he'd entered this place and interacted with Bree -- and the second time, which had been a few nights back, to call things off with her before they could even begin.

"Sorry," Dale threw over his shoulder with a glance at Nick, but not quite meeting his eyes. "But I'm in the mood for their chocolate malt shake and smokehouse burgers."

"I bet," Nick muttered.

"This might come as a surprise, but my world doesn't revolve around you."

Nick was surprised at the lighthearted jibe, especially considering that Dale had been acting a little off lately. It was frustrating that he couldn't put his finger on the cause.

"Just go place your order," Nick rolled his eyes, "I'll grab us a table."

Dale merely gave him a stiff nod, his posture too rigid for a casual Saturday evening meal at their local diner.

Shaking his head to himself, Nick let his eyes quickly sweep over the place to find a seat, his movements faltering for a tiny beat when he found a couple occupying the same table that he'd told Bree the truth about Nancy. The same table he'd told Bree he shouldn't have kissed her.

The irony wasn't lost on him, that there was another guy seated where Nick had been. Another girl seated where Bree had been. Except these two were holding hands, unafraid and free to be in love. And then there was Nick and Bree, who not only couldn't act on their feelings -- but weren't even allowed to let themselves feel it.

Something moved between Nick's feet, brushing against his shoes, startling him out of his reverie.

He snapped his head downwards, only to see a small blonde head crawl between his legs and then grab something off the floor, before scrambling back out and standing up to their full height.

A small girl, roughly around six, was dusting her knees off and then examining the maroon fidget spinner in her hands.

Nick stared at her, unable to even blink. At first, his thoughts resonated with Nancy. This girl in front of him didn't have flaming red hair or any other facial resemblance -- but there had been a time when every little girl reminded Nick of the one he'd never had the chance to say goodbye to.

He'd gotten over it, of course, but between college and the library, he never really ran into any kids. So, this, right here, was a little unsettling.