3

A beam of warm, sunlight ray shone into the room and onto my face. I smiled as I let the rays warm my face, but it was soon time to get dressed and so I hurried out of bed.

A smile formed as thoughts about the night filled my mind and creative scenarios and conversations flooded my imagination. I took a deep breath, and with a little grin, I began to get ready for the big night.

I gently took the black box I had received the other night and looked at the beautiful amethyst sparkling in the sun. I had to get a matching dress somewhere...

I took my phone and gave my trusted Irish jeweler a call.

"Declan, I need a favor. Do you know of any pristine and elegant shops that might have a ballgown or two?"

"Ah yes Madame! I do happen to know of some nearby shops that are perfect for a lady such as yourself."

I smiled. "Declan, you never cease to amaze me. Thank you so much! Would you mind to send them over to me with any amethyst-colored ball gowns?"

"Oh, of course, anything for ye, Mrs. Vasilievna! I will send them to your home?"

"Of course, Declan. Thank you so much."

I hung up and then proceeded to make some more phone calls. 

A stylist. A makeup artist... 

The night needed to be perfect and I would have to go a little overboard for that. I stood at the window, waiting for my ball gowns and stylists to arrive. 

"Maria."

I turned quickly and noticed my husband standing in the doorway. 

"Have you decided on the ballgown you will wear?"

With a shake, I replied, "No, the ballgowns will arrive soon and I will make my decision then."

His eyebrows lifted a millimeter. "I see."

"But I have decided on the color, amethyst," I added in a small voice. 

"Good. We are departing at six, sharp." He left the room.

I shuddered. He seemed cold and distant this morning.

Suddenly, a thought sprang into my head and I quickly called Laureli.

"Laureli, the bouquet on my desk. I need you to throw it out, and don't let anybody know, do you understand me?"

"Yes, of course, Mrs. Vasilievna. I'll do it right away."

"Good, I appreciate it, Laureli."

Tomorrow morning when we would get to work, I didn't want my husband to find the bouquet. Unless he already did, and that's why he was being unusually cold. 

"No, Maria, he's not cold... he's his usual self actually," I mumbled to myself I as the doorbell rang.

"He is always distant and unapproachable. He's just been very kind and affectionate the past day... but he's still your same cold husband."

I opened the door.

"Come in, come in."

I guided the stylists and the shop owners with the ballgowns into a nearby room, where all of my preparations would take place. 

They wheeled out all of their ballgowns, and I gasped!

"Oh wow, these- these are gorgeous!"

I walked around the stand, carefully observing each ballgown and falling in love with a unique detail in each.