13

"Maria, I'm glad you're back. Now, we need to talk."

I silently nodded as I stared at my husband. I hadn't gotten a chance to speak to him first; he beat me to the punch. 

I sat down at the couches in the little lobby area and waited for him to begin. He sat down next to me. 

"I'm leaving to a meeting in Florida. I'm going alone because I also have a meeting here that I need you to get to and substitute for me. On Friday, you're then coming to Florida and we're attending a little gathering."

I stared at him. I would have to substitute him for a meeting? I didn't even... I didn't know how. And I would have to travel all by myself? 

I almost wanted to cry at all this pressure and stress, but I mentally slapped myself instead to keep myself from bursting into tears. 

"Okay, that sounds manageable." 

He kissed my forehead as a smile erupted on his face. "Perfect, I'll be leaving in a few hours. Everything you need to know about the meeting, as well as the plane ride is in my office. I'll see you in a few days."

He left right after he finished his sentence and I just stared off at him.

'I'm pregnant... you're going to be a father.' I whispered silently to myself as he vanished from view. 

Ah okay then, the big news would have to wait just a few more days. He survived two months without knowing, a few more days wouldn't hurt.

 I went into my husband's office. As expected, nothing changed except for a pile of papers on his desk labeled 'Maria.'

I sat at his enormous, extraordinarily comfortable chair. Okay, I was exaggerating a little. It wasn't that great. But definitely the best in the building. 

He was a strange person. He never let me go off to do anything myself, I always had to be at his side. But here he was; first, he let me walk around in a different country with a friend that, lets' be honest, neither one of us knew so well. Then, he let me go out with her to lunch. I never got to go with anybody to lunch! And now... he left me all alone for an entire few days. Oh, this was strange.

I took the pile and began to look through it. The meeting was scheduled for tomorrow, and it was nothing, nothing big at all. 

In fact, it was minute. I simply had to sit at some random meeting and take notes. Actually, in the margins of the instructions that had been left, he mentioned that I can just make it seem as if I am taking notes. 

I laughed and went through everything else. 

Friday, in the afternoon, I would hop on a flight and meet him in Florida. Then, in an hour or so, I would need to attend a party with him.

'Okay, let's get this started, Maria.'

~ ~ ~ 

I was standing at the airport, looking for Alexander. It was finally Friday, and I was finally in Florida. The week had gone by so fast that I didn't even get a moment to breathe. I simply kept myself busy at work. I would stay long hours, never arriving later than 7 or leaving later than 10. 

Know I knew why Alexander would bury himself with work. It just made the time go by faster.

I couldn't help but think about my little baby every once in a while. It was actually that was clouding my thinking. Even at that 'super important' meeting I only took notes about my baby.

I couldn't help myself. I loved it dearly already.

I was standing in a white and flimsy sleeveless dress. It actually looked like I took a sheet from my bed and wrapped it around myself. I wore white stilettos with palm tree leaves and red hibiscus flowers painted on them. I thought this would be right for a Florida party. I had gold earrings clipped and a red bracelet to finish my Florida party outfit.