33

"Darling, wake up!" I heard a knock at my door followed by a very familiar voice, and my eyelids slowly fluttered open.

I stayed in bed until the same voice yelled, "Maria, you gotta wake up! It's December 1st, and it's snowing! God must have wanted this day to be extra special!"

I laughed. He knew me so well.

"I'm coming."

"Good! Get dressed, and we're going for a stroll in the city."

I heard footsteps leaving and decided it was safe to get out of bed. 

I quickly got dressed in something warm. The snow falling outside of the balcony window told me it would be a good idea to dress as warm as I could, especially if we were going on a stroll outside. 

I left my room and almost had a heart attack. 

"Misha! Why are you still standing here?"

He laughed. "I actually just walked up. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Anyways, we've got to get going."

"No, let me eat first. If you don't remember I've got two people to keep fed."

He gently rubbed my belly. "How could I forget? But, we've still got to get going. We'll get some food in the city."

He grabbed my hand and led me out into the outside air. It was indeed snowing wonderful, big snowflakes. They were soft and beautiful, creating a winter wonderland.

It was December 1st, and a smile couldn't help but stick onto my face.  I loved December because of the snow, of course, but also Christmas. 

Ah... my smile widened at the thought of Christmas. Cookies, decorations, presents, friends, and family. I loved the Christmas spirit. 

But most importantly, it was the birth of Christ. I was thrilled to be celebrating his first appearance on Earth, and the start of his wonderful, miraculous journey to save all people. 

I had grown in my faith over the months. It was funny, at first I hated my situation, but I trusted God and I prayed. It was all I could do for a while until I began to build a relationship with these treasured people. I had indeed learned to love them all so much, and I was very happy that God got me through the hard time I was in. 

I saw him differently now. He was no longer just a god that I can pray to when I have time. I was beginning to form a relationship with him, just how it is written in the Bible. I began to see his wonderful love in all of nature and grace in my life. 

Clearly, I was overjoyed at celebrating his birth with a new heart. 

"Darling," Misha said, wrapping his hand around my shoulders and bringing me to his side, "What are you thinking about? You've got a beautiful, shining smile on your face."

I smiled again. "I'm thinking of Christmas."

He smiled. "That's a wonderful reason to smile." 

He pointed to a coffee shop. It was very small but looked cozy, and people were coming in and out. 

"Let's go eat there."

I nodded. "Sounds perfect."

We walked into the coffee shop, and immediately an aroma of bitter coffee swept into my face, filling up my lungs with the strong smell. The place was very simple. The round tables were metal and small, and the walls were painted in a dark red color. 

However, this coffee shop was crowded, so that gave me a good reason to believe that the coffee there was delicious. Indeed, when we were served the cup of steaming coffee, the aroma almost made me weak, and when I took the first sip, it made me tilt back my head and close my eyes, savoring the rich bitterness.