0.90 In Which They Play Truant

DISCLAIMER: I Do Not Own Teen Wolf

WARNING: CONTAINS MENTIONS OF SUICIDE

The Tell,

At around midnight on Sunday night, Ellie received an odd message from Lydia. Okay, so Lydia was always kind of odd, but most of her texts were about clothes, Jackson or school work, with the occasional 'how are you?' But, this one was more than a little bit weird. This was Weird-weird, not Lydia-weird.

Received Lydia M / 11:58pm Nov

You're the bestest friend on the whole planet! xxx

Ellie wasn't sure how to respond to that, but it seemed she didn't have to, because she was messaged by Jackson not five minutes later.

Received Jack W / 12:02am Nov

Lyd's a little out of it. Tell you at school x

Other than being slightly unnerved by the kiss on the end, she figured Jackson would stay true to his word and spill the beans before first period. Thoughts of the coming day made Ellie grin. It was her seventeenth birthday, which in itself was amazing, but now she got to spend it with Allison, who was conveniently born on the same day.

So, yeah, she was a little disappointed that she wasn't celebrating her birthday in her junior year, like she was supposed to be, but the fact that she had Scott would totally make up for it. The only thing was, she didn't actually tell her boyfriend about her upcoming shift in age, so it was unlikely she'd receive any sort of gift from him.

And it was going to be the first birthday she'd ever had that she wouldn't have her parents there.

On November Second, every year, Ellie would usually wake up to the smell of cocoa and banana pancakes. She'd head out of her bedroom, still in her pyjamas, and walk to the kitchen. There, she would find her father, stood over the stove with his glasses on, and her mother sat at the kitchen table, two mugs in front of her, one of hot chocolate and one of black coffee.

Ellie would take the mug with the hot chocolate in, sip it and then walk to give both of her parents a kiss on the cheek. Her dad would chuckle and then look down to the mess in the pan in front of him.

"These are..." he'd say, and then he'd throw the batter out and run to the bakery on the corner to buy her croissants. Her mother would laugh, finish the last of the pastries and then drive her to the high school.

On that November Second, Ellie woke up to the noise of her cousin and aunt squealing in her ear. Had it been any other day of the year, she would've chewed them out, yelled at them, gotten really cranky for such a rude awakening, but it was her birthday. And Allison's. They were allowed to be chirpy, even if it was six am.

Ellie lifted her head, smiling, and saw Kate holding out a box. Allison was hiding her hands behind her back, wearing a necklace that was obviously new. The shorter girl grabbed the box and ripped it open, beaming at the sight of a necklace exactly like Allison's.

"So, okay," Kate said, "This is a bit of a bribe. You know I feel totally horrible about my behaviour the other night with your boyfriend, so I decided to give you and Allison your presents early. Chris has something planned for the two of you tonight; you know how he has a thing for keeping people in suspense, but..."

"It's forgotten, Aunt Kate," she shook her head, exchanging a grin with Allison, "But I will accept the bribe."

The girls left after that to let her get ready, so Ellie casually threw on a deep purple, knee-length dress, black heeled boots (lord knows she needed the extra height, and a black leather jacket. Her hair was left straight and hanging down barely passed her shoulders, and her new necklace dangling loosely to almost her waist.