1.10 In Which He Has A Tell

DISCLAIMER: I Do Not Own Teen Wolf

Night School,

Ellie was at her house, trying to decide what to wear for her date. Any other day, she would've been fine with just jeans and a tank top, but not this day. Not the day she admitted to herself she was in love with her boyfriend. Her boyfriend who still hadn't stopped ignoring her. Her boyfriend who was supposed to be at her house in fifteen minutes.

She rushed to get dressed, curling her hair and throwing on clothes faster than she'd ever done before. Allison was stood in the doorway, texting Lydia, and giving not so helpful remarks. Chris and Victoria were out doing god knows what, so Ellie was free to do pretty much whatever the hell she wanted, which was good. She didn't know how much more of over-protective-uncle she could take.

It wasn't until her cousin spoke that she realised Scott was late. "When's Scott picking you up?"

"Uh, eight thirty. Why?"

"Because it's eight forty now."

The two girls shared a look, both walking outside to see if his car was parked and waiting. It wasn't. Everything was unnervingly quiet, with no traffic passing through and only the dim streetlamps for illumination. Ellie's phone rang, making her bite her lip in anticipation. It's Scott, she told herself. Except it wasn't Scott. It was Jackson.

"Lydia says we're coming to get you." His voice said at the other end of the line, making her sigh. Allison gave her a pointed glance, to which Ellie poked her tongue out and put her phone on speaker.

"Please don't," she groaned, shoving her hands in her jacket pockets and frowning at the pavement. "I'm sure he's on his way, he's only twenty six minutes late."

"You hear that?" it was Lydia now, sounding sharp, "First he's only twenty six minutes late..."

Allison continued, "Next it's 'he only hits me when he's drunk."

"Slippery slope, Ellie," the strawberry blonde finished.

 "That's not true, Lyd," Ellie made a face, "He probably just got caught up with something, you know his phone broke so he can't tell me what's going on. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation."

"Slippery slope," was all her friend replied.

"We're picking you up," Jackson's voice rang with finality, but she set her mouth in a firm line.

"No." she said immediately, "I am waiting for Scott to show up. Which he will."

A Porsche pulled up to the side of the road, next to the girls, and she cold faintly hear Jack reply with, "Too late," before it stopped in front of her. She saw Lydia in the passenger's seat, phone in hand, presumably texting. There was some sort of fast food paper cup in between them, but from the way the strawberry blonde's eyes regarded it with disgust, Ellie could only guess it was the lacrosse captain's.

She walked around to the driver's side, glaring at the boy as he rolled down the window, but he simply said, "Lydia gets what Lydia wants."

Ellie rolled her eyes, "You know, that really isn't a healthy outlook on life."

"Just get in," he ordered, grinning. "We can stop by his place, see if he's there."

Ellie's phone dinged, but when she looked at the message her face filled with confusion. Lydia seemed to notice the look, glaring, "Is that him with the best explanation ever on why he's half a freaking hour late?"

 "No," she passed the phone to Allison, whose eyes narrowed, "No, not at all. He just said he wants tomeet me at the school."

"Well then, you two hop in and we'll get going," Jackson swung the door open and popped his seat forward, giving the pair a perfect view of the limited space in the backseat.