Chapter Three: Just Listen

New York Library-two weeks later

Layla clocked into work, but this time she kept her stereobelt on. Her morning, as usual, was cruddy, and consisted of no sleep. Layla didn't want to sleep, and dream of the accident again, so she walked New York City all night, until it was time for her to go to work. For three days, she has gone without sleep. She did manage to fix a burnt cup of coffee before she left her apartment. It tasted like an ash tray, and left the bitter taste in her mouth for the rest of the day, but it did its job. At least, it did the best job that it could to keep her awake. Her body was beginning to feel the effects of no sleep. Her steps were sluggish, and slow, and her reaction time wasn't as quick either, but she kept pushing herself, staying up. Her guard was even beginning to slip, and while she was walking to work, she wasn't paying attention to the man who had been following her. He came up behind her, grabbing her firmly by the arm, trying to snatch her stereobelt. Infuriated that someone would even try to take her favorite thing from her, Layla flashed her angry, violet eyes toward him, ordering him to leave. The man was trapped in her trance, and slow to leave. Hoping to move him along, Layla yelled at him, told him to forget her, then he took off scampering down an alley.

"Yeah, you better scurry along! Teach you to try and take my stereobelt!" She had hissed with a shake of her head.

That stereobelt was her only life saver. Music was a distraction for Layla, and it took her mind off the stressful things in her life. It even managed to steer her mind away from the dreams. Given what happened this morning, and not sleeping, Layla wasn't giving up her stereobelt this morning for work. It was her last resort to keep her awake, and ease her ticked off mood. If an employee had caught her, she could simply tell them to forget, or tell her boss that she could wear them today. Advantages of being able to have mind control. 

Shoving the last book in the bottom shelf, Layla stood up letting out a tired sigh. She leaned her body against the cart of books pinching the bridge of her nose. Her eyelids were heavy, and for a second she considered sitting down and taking a nap. No one would see her. There was hardly anyone in the library this morning. Layla shut her eyes for only a second, and her mind was already pulling her into the deep abyss of sleep. What startled her, pulling her out of the abyss, was a poke to her arm. Her tired eyes, opened wide, and she glanced up at the man who stood in front of her. He said something to her, but Layla only heard her music, which was currently playing Time by Pink Floyd. 

"I'm sorry?" Layla asked pulling her headphones down. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle ya." The man repeated. 

"That's fine. Umm,"Layla looked down at the cart of books trying to look busy, though she knew she had been caught. "Can I help you with something?" She asked leaning off the book cart with her arms crossed. 

The man in front of her definitely looked like someone you didn't want to tick off, or cross. He was tall, and towered over her. He was built, and it was noticeable with the outfit he wore.  He was sporting a brown leather jacket that fell to his hips, and underneath that he wore a purple patterned shirt. She couldn't quite make out what the brown shapes were, so she went with strangely shaped circles. His jeans were a bit faded, and looped around his pants was a bronze belt with a large belt buckle. The style was a bit corny, but most of the styles in the 70s were corny too her. That's why, she tried to keep it simple. However, this man managed to wear it better than most of the men she had seen. His jet black hair was slicked back, and short. His hair was much fuller at the top, while it was shorter near his temples. The man even had side burns, and the facial hair around his jaw had grown with it. The style was clean, and sculpted his face nicely. There was even an opening on his upper chin. Layla couldn't help, but sneak one more peak before she turned to look at the books on her cart.