Chapter Thirty-One: With or Without You

Layla and Xander.

Peter looked between the two with disbelief, and they looked at him as if he had been a burden to their conversation. Peter glanced at Layla and guilt crossed her features before she looked away down towards the school. When he directed his attention to Xander, he pushed off the tree he was leaning against, looking directly at Layla.

"Think about your actions, Layla. Don't do it." He reminded her grimly before he took off down the hill, leaving the two alone.

"Don't do what? Layla, what's going on?" Peter asked he stepped in front of her, forcing her to make eye contact with him.

All morning Peter had waited for Layla this morning in the dining hall as she told him she'd join after her meeting with Charles. Hours had passed and there still had been no sign of her. Unable to talk to Jean and Scott he excused himself as he left to check on her. He arrived at Charles's office only to find Charles but not Layla. He was told that she had left an hour ago. Charles asked if all was alright, and Peter played it off saying all was well before he shut the door. A wave of worry washed over him and he stopped in the middle of the hall, slipping his silver goggles on his face as he let out a shaky breath before speeding off. He ran all over the inside of the school and the training room, and when he saw no sign of her it became a bit more difficult to ease his worried mind. His mind immediately decided that she had been taken again as he recalled that he had not even seen Xander this morning, and it was difficult not to spot the towering mutant. He searched every inch of the school and the grounds of the school, and he was relieved to have found her finally, but he couldn't help but be irritated with her.

"I know. I'm sorry." She apologized as she flicked her brown eyes to him, feeling his emotions.

She hadn't meant to worry Peter, but she had been caught up in her own emotions that she forgot. She mentally scolded herself for her action, especially after everything that had happened to her.

"Layla, what's going on? What was he talking about?" Peter asked as he slipped his goggles over his head.

Peter took note of the conflicting look Layla held. All morning she appeared off and he didn't expect her to be herself after what happened. No, he sensed there was something else going on with her. Though she was here in front of him, she was elsewhere. When she looked away from him again, Peter sped in front of her, lifting her chin up with his finger.

"Hey, talk to me. What's going? You can tell me." He reassured.

"I know." Layla mumbled sadly. "I just...I promised I wouldn't keep things from you, and I'm not but..something is wrong, Peter."

"What do you mean?" He asked as he eyed her looking for any wounds.

"I'm not bleeding out." She said as she attempted to smile, but failed.

"Is it Stryker?" He asked as he recalled hearing Xander's words.

Layla nodded.

"Layla, he isn't worth it. He," Peter began but Layla cut him off.

"I'm seeing him tomorrow." Layla said in a low voice as she stepped back.

Peter was taken aback. "What? How? W...Why?" He asked as thoughts raced through his mind.

"I'm not sure who contacted who, but I met him through my dreams. And I'm meeting him tomorrow where...it all began." She whispered as her heart squeezed.

"Where it all began?" Peter trailed, but he quickly put the pieces together. "The river? Where the accident happened?"

Layla nodded unable to speak.

"Layla, you can't! That's stupid! After everything he did to you! After everything we did to get you out, you want to go back?"

"Yes, Peter!" Layla snapped as she recalled her time at his prison, which brought back her rage. "He needs to pay for what he's done!"

Her eyes quickly changed to a vibrant purple as rage consumed her once again and Peter took note of the red that started to swirl with the purple. He did not step back nor did he move. He wasn't afraid, but he was worried for her.

"Layla, listen to me. Whatever you plan on doing," Peter began carefully as held his hands out. "It will not change anything. Please, don't let your anger for him consume you. It will not make you feel any better."

Layla's eyes dulled to a deep shade of purple; the red disappearing.

"Nothing is going to change my mind, Peter. I'm going to meet him, and you can either come with me or stay here."

Peter frowned, shaking his head. "Layla...please don't." He pleaded.

Layla had her answer. She would be going alone. It was what she wanted anyway and though it hurt knowing Peter wouldn't go with her, it was better that way. After all, it was only between her and Stryker and no one else needed to get hurt.

"Don't try to stop me, Peter." She said as she brushed past him, making her way back down to the school.

As Peter watched Layla's figure retreat, he flopped down on the grass putting his head in hands.

What the hell was he going to do?