Chapter Nine: Puppet Master

Don't ask questions!

Don't you dare ask questions!

The mission will be compromised! 

Keep quiet and cease all thoughts! 

Theo sat outside on the patio behind the school sitting at a small table while a large umbrella towered above him, shielding him from the sun. His eyebrows were drawn tightly together and his arms remained crossed over his chest as he stared down at the table through his dark lensed sunglasses. It was a stare that could burn through the damn, fragile thing if he had the ability to do so. Theo fisted his hands and managed to pop one of his knuckles in the process as he tried not to think of what he had just seen the mutant do. The mutant that he was hunting, and the one that he personally was supposed to hand deliver to Stryker with gift wrap and a nice big red bow on top. Which, there was no way in hell that was going to happen! Not after what he had seen. Stryker didn't tell him the damn mutant could shake the whole ground! But why would Stryker tell him? He was doing the dirty work after all. 

"Asshole." Theo thought bitterly as he clenched and unclenched his hands. 

As his mind rewound the events over and over, he closed his eyes as he tried not to think about what had happened. Or what he had done. If he continued to ask questions and let his mind wander it would compromise Stryker's plan, and he would never be free of him. He would be locked in that hell hole for years to come. Those screams would wake him as they always did, and he would pinned down to a table, and tested to see how well he could manage his abilities.

It would be a continues loop of pain and misery.  

As Theo lowered his head with his chin resting on top of his chest, he rubbed the bridge of his nose feeling frustrated. With a heavy sigh, he reminded himself to do the job Stryker gave him then leave as quickly as possible. He was not here to make friends or let his emotions get in the way. If Theo hadn't been outside roaming the grounds as he waited for Charles, he probably wouldn't have even found the girl. His original plan was to establish his temporary residence here after he had talked with Charles then once all that was squared away and settled, he would look for her. But those plans changed when he had spotted her. Now, he could have waited for Charles, but he was unsure how long that would take. After all, the professor had been sent to clear up a fight that had broken out between mutant students, and no one was able to stop them. Even now as he sat here on the patio after he followed the girl, he was still waiting for him.

Very quietly and discreetly Theo had followed the girl by walking on the other side of the yard, and had used the foliage as cover. At the time, before he had seen what she was capable of, he wasn't quite sure what was dangerous about her. She appeared to be friendly, and even smiled to those that she passed as she drew further away from the school. When Stryker had informed him she was dangerous, what he had seen was not what he had been expecting. However, after what he saw, no wonder Stryker thought her to be dangerous. The only question he had, was did Stryker know how dangerous she really might be? 

After she had fallen asleep underneath the tree, that was when Theo took action and began his mission. Sure, he should have done so once he met her, but why wait? Concealing himself incase others were to look for her, Theo used his powers and entered her mind. Her shields had been down, and she hadn't even detected him. He would be the puppet master controlling all the strings, and she could do nothing but follow along. He would find her weaknesses and nightmares, using them against her for future plans. As he dove deeper into her mind, he took note of things he had seen, and even used one to his advantage. It had been a male mutant. One that was quite large, and odd looking, but she feared him and that had been all he needed. She never even knew he was there because she was too distracted with what was right in front of her. Her eyes had been wide with fear when she heard the mutant's voice, and her skin had turned ghostly pale.

"Leave me alone!" She had shouted to the empty land that surrounded her. 

His plan had been working, and all seemed to be going well. It had been the first day, and things had looked to be going his way. That had been until he was no longer the one controlling the strings. She had taken over. She had begun to torture herself with her own nightmares and weaknesses. He had tried to regain his control, but it had been a game of tug-of-war. Finally, he had just given up and stood back and watched. He had been royally ticked off, and if he couldn't control her what was he going to do? How was he going to get on with his plan and give her to Stryker if she was stronger than him? As he had stood there, stewing angrily, watching things play out, he couldn't help but be confused. He didn't know who the male mutant was, nor did he understand what was going on.

"You will destroy those you love." He heard the male mutant tell her. 

When the girl had fallen in front of a tombstone that lied in front of her, he had seen the horrified look on her face. He had seen the tears slip down her cheeks, and knew that whoever that was, that person was her weak point. Although, it appeared she had many weaknesses, this one he took note of. Knowing he would be unable to do anything else, he had left and returned back to reality. Guilt had eaten him, and still did, but there was no time for that. Just as he was about to head back, the ground beneath his feet had begun to shake. All thoughts had vanished, and he had been momentarily confused. Thinking the girl was in danger from a possible earthquake, he had turned to get her. After all, Stryker wanted her alive not dead, but soon he realized she had been the one doing the damage. She had looked troubled and thrashed her head back and forth as she bit down on her lip. Then in a flash a guy with silver hair had been by her side, waking her. Eventually, she had woken up, and the shaking had ceased. Theo had hid behind a tree and raked a hand through his hair as he wondered how the hell he was going to get her out. Especially, if she was this strong. It was a thought he continued to rack through his brain over and over, since he had seen what happened mere minutes ago. 

"What the hell am I going to do?" Theo wonder impatiently as he leaned back in the chair, staring up at the sky. 

When it came down to it, there was only one thing he could do.