Chapter Thirty-Three: This is the Day

Rolling over onto her back, Layla rubbed her hands over her weary eyes before tossing the covers and getting out of bed. Her stiff body ached like she had been body slammed against the solid wood flooring that laid beneath her dangling feet. Or rather slapped across the face by a large, metallic hand that sent her falling flat on her ass. Lowering her head, Layla brought her arms over her shoulders massaging them in hopes to loosen the tightened muscles. Unfortunately, it had done nothing. Reaching over, Layla pulled the top drawer open on her nightstand taking note of the time on her alarm clock as she brought out her Walkman. It was only five-thirty in the morning and she silently groaned while she gently slid the drawer shut before placing the headphones on. She wasn't quite sure what tape she had, and she did not care to fumble around for any. Reaching over once more, she turned her lamp on which dimly lit her bedroom before she pressed play on her Walkman. 

While she waited for a song to play, Layla stood on the cool flooring beneath her feet, making her way to the bathroom. Along the way, her mind instantly began to reel with pestering thoughts that plagued her. Today was the day she would have her "meet-and-greet" with Stryker. Her body had practically healed and knowing that she still could not die gave her the upper hand. Stryker still did not know of her healing abilities, and she couldn't help but let out a wicked little laugh as she pictured his shocked reaction to her rising from the dead. 

Well you didn't wake up this morning  'cause you didn't go to bed

You were watching the whites of your eyes turn red

The calendar on your wall was ticking the days off 

You've been reading some old letters 

You smile and think how much you've changed 

Today, Stryker would pay for what he had done.

Opening the bathroom door, Layla slid her hand against the smooth wall till she found the light switch. With a flick of her wrist, light illuminated her bathroom, and she stepped inside opening the bottom drawer. Crouching down, Layla grabbed her pain reliever popping two white tablets into her palm before tossing them into her mouth. She threw the bottle back inside, shutting the drawer as she swallowed them whole. Looking up, she glanced at her reflection, thinking as the music filled her ears. 

All the money in the world couldn't buy back those days

You pull back the curtain 

And the sun burns into your eyes

You watch a plane flying 

Across a clear blue sky 

They didn't understand.

This is the day, your life will surely change

This is the day, when things fall into place 

None of them understood how she felt. 

Not Peter.

Charles. 

Hank.

Or even Xander. 

He told her Stryker wasn't worth her time.

They all had said the same thing to her like they had been given the same piece of paper to read off of. 

They tried to calm her, soothe her, knock her back to her senses, but she would not do so.

It angered her; irritated her that they could not understand. 

It hurt even more to know that Peter would not join her. 

Then again, this wasn't his fight.

 It was hers, and it was probably for the best that he did not come. 

You could have done anything, if you wanted.

And all your friends and family think that you're  lucky

But the side of you they'll never see

Is when you're left alone with your memories 

That hold your life together, like glue

Layla turned her head sharply looking away from her reflection and back to her bedroom. She turned her lights off, stepping out.

What are you doing?

Don't do this!

Stop while you can!

This isn't you!

"After all, he didn't kill your parents." Hanks words echoed. 

But he tried to. 

Look at what he did!

He needs to be stopped.

You pull back the curtain

And the sun burns into your eyes

You watch a plane flying

Across a clear blue sky 

This is the day, your life will surely change

This is the 

Between the loud music that blasted through her headphones and her pestering thoughts, Layla squeezed her eyes shut, throwing her Walkman across the room. 

She needed to stop.

Pushing all thoughts aside, she focused only on the one. 

Stryker. 

She could not allow herself to become distracted, and with that being said she quickly changed, gathering what she needed before she made her way to the only person who could get her where she needed to be. Silently, she walked down the hall, making her way to the level below her. She practically tip-toed past the rooms until she reached his door. Guilt raked over her, but Layla pushed it down as she knocked on the door in front of her. At first there had been no response and so she knocked a bit louder, hoping she caught his attention. When the door opened, Layla smiled as best she could. 

"Hello, Kurt." 

_________________

Hello, Readers! 

 I just wanted to let you know that there are only three more chapters left. I know I said that a few chapters ago, but this time there are only three chapters left. 

Pretty positive. 

My plan was to originally combine and write one long, lengthy chapter, but instead I wrote chapters thirty-two and thirty-three to help split it up before the big finale. And yes, the next chapter will be the big showdown between Layla and Stryker, though it may be a bit long. I try not to make my chapters too long, but to help the story come to an end it'll have to be just a tad bit longer. 

Just a tad.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well, and that you are having a fantastic day! :)

Until then!

-ussrocketdog