Chapter Three: Tired Mind

I have finally finished the next chapter! It's a bit late, but I finished it!

Yes!

I hope you all like it, and thank you again for reading this story! ^_^

____________

"Alright," Hank began as he withdrew the slim needle from Layla's arm. "That's the last one, and as soon as I have an answer I'll let you know."

Placing the lid back on the vial, Hank screwed it back on tightly, while Layla kept her eyes pierced on the red liquid that was inside. Carefully, Hank placed it in its holder, carrying it back to his computer. The dark red liquid rocked gently back and forth only to cease when Hank placed it gently on the steel counter next to his computer. Layla flicked her gaze back to her arm rubbing her thumb over the soft cotton ball that had been taped across her forearm. Doing this put her in a trance, and her mind had completely emptied. Since the accident during training, her mind had been running like a freight train all afternoon. She could not stop thinking nor stop questioning what happened. At one point her mind felt like a crowded city or a thunderous arcade and all she could hear were the sound of pinball machines, and the toss of a skee ball rolling roughly across its platform into the scoreboards above. Her muscles were tightly tensed, and eventually caused a migraine to develop. Now as she sat here on the small, uncomfortable metal chair in Hank's room, her mind had gone blank, and at the moment she no longer wanted to think about what went on during training.

Hank spoke to Layla, but to her it sounded only like a faint whisper.

"Training tomorrow." The voice stopped. "Layla?"

Nothing.

"Layla?" Hank asked again raising his voice.

Layla flicked her eyes up to Hank as she attempted to pull herself out of the trance she created. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" She asked as she shut her eyes trying to focus on Hank's voice.

Hank tucked one hand into his lab coat while using the other to push the rim of his glasses up. "I said, maybe you should skip training tomorrow. The test is next week, giving you only a few days left to practice. You've never missed a day, and perhaps,"

"Hank," Layla groaned trying not to sound too annoyed as she cut him off. "I'm fine. What happened during training this afternoon was part of my plan. There is no need to worry, okay? If something were wrong I would tell you." She smiled knowing it was weak.

Hank sighed. "Fine, but...just be careful tomorrow."

Layla nodded and walked out the door not knowing what else to say. All she wanted to do was go to bed. Meanwhile, as Hank watched Layla leave he kept having a strange feeling that there was something going on with her. Yes, he could be overthinking it. After all, this only did occur once, but Hank saw the look on Layla's face during training. Layla told Hank it was part of her plan, but he wasn't quite sure if he believed her. It seemed ridiculous, but for a better opinion, Hank thought it would be best if he informed Charles about the incident.

____________________

Once Layla made it back upstairs to the school, she was headed back to her room until she remembered she told Peter she'd meet him in the dining hall. At the time when he asked, she didn't mind going to the dining hall and grabbing dinner with Peter.

But now?

She didn't want to be near anyone, and she wasn't very hungry either. All the stress had eaten away at her stomach making food appear unappetizing. The only thing at the moment that seemed appealing was going back upstairs to her room, and going to bed. Her body was sore and tired, as well as her mind. Though, she did feel bad leaving Peter. Turning back towards the hall where the large eating area was, Layla used her powers to hide herself while she checked in on Peter. Her eyes scanned the large room until she spotted her silver haired speedy sitting near the end of the table with the students from training. He and the other students were talking while they ate, even laughing which spilled out into the hall that Layla was hiding in. Layla couldn't help but smile, and she felt a pull to walk right into the dining hall, and sit next to Peter. Perhaps, even scaring him while she sneaked up on him using her powers to conceal herself. Picturing it, made Layla chuckle quietly to herself, but remembering the mood she was currently in, she didn't want to ruin Peter or the other's fun. It was best if she left. Sneaking one last glance over her shoulder, Layla watched as Scott threw a pizza across the room for Peter to catch. A silver blur sped around the room until a hand shot out, grabbing the pizza. Peter waved the pizza in the air before lowering into his mouth, flashing Scott a smug smile.