Chapter Thirteen: The Stranger and Layla

Damn, it had been like running into a brick wall. Just when Layla thought she was going to fall flat on her ass, like an idiot because she wasn't paying attention, a pair of strong hands gripped her forearms. Her eyes flicked up staring into a pair of dark lensed sun glasses while she was being held back from her embarrassing fate. The man's grip on her forearms loosened as he slowly pulled her back up on her feet, and towards him.

"Are you alright?" He asked softly in a deep, accented voice as he carefully let go of Layla, but kept his stare fixated on her.

Staring back at her reflection through the dark lenses, Layla could see the crimson lines stretch across her cheeks and over the bridge of her nose from embarrassment. Her face and the tips of her ears began to heat, and as much as she tried, her words had escaped her. Layla had been taken completely off guard, and on top of that she was scolding herself for not paying more attention. Staring back at her reflection through the man's lenses, Layla saw how ridiculous she appeared, and managed to step back. As she backed away, her eyes averted away from the tall, mysterious man, and instead looked around the backyard while she rummaged a hand through her hair.

"Umm," She drawled as she pondered her next words. "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention." She told him as she lowered her hand and looked back at the man with apologetic eyes.
Without even waiting for a reply, Layla turned sharply on her heels and began her descent down the stone steps, heading in no particular direction. She just wanted to get away, and be away from people.

________________________

"I can't believe it." Theo thought incredulously as he watched the mutant's figure retreat further away.

All morning he had been wandering around the damn school in search of her. Along his way he received inquiring, and curious glances from the students who would pass by, along with the occasional flirtatious looks the girls gave him. Theo paid no attention to anyone, and focused on his mission. Besides, if these people here knew just how dangerous he could be or what he has done they would pay him no attention. Which was fine by him. The less the better in his eyes. Eventually, Theo made is way back outside to the patio ready to give up on looking for the girl, until she had run into him. Admittedly, it had startled him at first because after being trapped inside Stryker's prison for eleven years, his first assumption was that someone was trying to come after him. That had been why he turned so quickly, and gripped the mutant's forearms tightly. Then once he registered who it had been, he loosened his grip, and helped her back on her feet. She had just ran into him.

Literally.

He couldn't believe it, and even as he watched her figure pull further away, he was still in disbelief. Shaking his head, Theo snapped out of his daze and jogged after her.

"Hey! Hey, wait!" He called after her as he picked up his pace.
___________________

"Hey! Hey, wait!" Layla heard a male voice shout behind her.

Layla came to a stop, turning to see who was shouting. Immediately, her eyes landed on the male mutant she had run into who was making his way towards her.

"Shit!" Layla silently cussed to herself.

She hadn't meant to run into the mutant. It had been an accident, but apparently he wasn't done with her yet. Layla stood tilting her hips to one side as she crossed her arms defensively over her chest. Right now, she really didn't want to talk to anyone. She had been trying to get away from people, and cool down after the news Charles decided to deliver to her today. Keeping her guarded stare on the man, she waited and watched as he jogged over to her.

"I'm really sorry," Layla said as the male stopped and stood face to face with her. "I wasn't looking to see where I was going." She apologized again as she wished for this to be over with quickly.