Chapter Thirty: Face-Off

Xander and Layla stood across from each other in the hall never taking their eyes off one another. She took note of the fact that he was no longer wearing those sunglasses that hid those silver orbs before flashing her violet eyes at him. She clenched both her hands, biting her tongue as she fought the urge not to throw him against the wall. She made sure to inform Xander just how she felt, and he picked up on her feelings but never moved. Eventually, they were going to have to converse. He just didn't think it'd be this soon. Well, that is if she decided to talk as she looked like she'd rather beat the ever living hell out of him. Xander hadn't meant to run in to her-well okay-perhaps that was a lie. He had picked up on her thoughts like she had been screaming for all to hear, and so rather than roam the grounds for the hundredth time, he followed her thoughts till he found her in the hall outside the professor's office.

The last person Layla wanted to see at the moment was Xander. Especially, while she was already sorting through her own emotions and actions. Him being near her right now was like delivering a rabbit to a wolf in a handmade basket that was laced with ribbons. Xander, however, did not care, and she sensed that the second she saw him. It annoyed her that he did not care. It annoyed her further that he wasn't doing anything and they were just staring each other down like they were in a western town facing off. Between him and Stryker her anger was rising; pacing. Energy hummed through her body and her hands shook as the need for her powers to be unleashed grew. Looking away, she marched down the hall, brushing past his shoulder as she made her way outside before anything happened.

"Follow me!" She hissed venomously to him via telepathy.

______________________________

Once they were far enough away from the school, Layla spun on her heels, looking directly at him.
"I thought you were dead." She growled through clenched teeth, flashing her livid, violet eyes at him.

"So did I." He relied casually as he sauntered over to a tree to lean against.

"How?" She asked as she followed his every move.

"How did I make it out alive?" He began as he laid his hand over his chest. "I'm surprised I did as teleporting when being fatally injured can be well...fatal." He nodded.

"It should have been fatal."

"You and me both." Xander agreed as he crossed one thick, black boot over the other.

Layla was angry with Xander. Truly she was, but hearing that took her back and she wasn't quite sure why. He meant what he just said and he wanted her to know that.
But why?
And why did hearing him admit that bother her?
Perhaps, it was due to the conflicting feelings she still had towards him. One side of her sympathized with him while the other absolutely hated him for what he did to her. Looking away, Layla folded her arms across her chest as she leaned back on one heel. She kept her stare down on the tips of her black converse, recalling Xander's trade with Stryker while her body swayed back and forth.

"Why?" She asked in a quiet whisper, keeping her violet eyes on the white tips of her shoes.

"Because it was my ticket out of his prison. I knew I shouldn't have done it, but I did and I'll live with that decision for the rest of my life. I am sorry, Layla. If I could reverse time I would."

"Would you or would you reverse time to gain a better deal from him?" She bit as she flicked her violet gaze to him.

"If I could reverse time," He said quickly in a hard tone as he took one step toward her. "I would go so far as making sure to change everything that's been done."

Layla remained silent, keeping her gaze on him while attempting to read him. She felt sadness and conflict but not toward her. The feelings had been his own. I She tried to probe further but Xander blocked her as he quickly caught on.