Chapter Twenty-Two: Peter and the Stranger

"You asshole!" A familiar yet unrecognizable voice roared.

He hadn't even finished opening his eyes and found he had been flung off the medical table and smashed against the steel walls. White hot pain laced down his abdomen and due to his current condition he had no time to react quickly and ward off his attacker. Before he could gather himself, he had been picked up and carried off at an incredible speed. Due to the quick speed, he soon figured out who his attacker was. Unable to talk or move he waited till things came to a stop. Objects and figures blurred by him causing his head to spin and stomach to clench at the queasiness that was building up inside him. The quick motion did come to an abrupt stop, and he found himself flying through the air only to collide with the trunk of a tree. Stars bounced around his line of vision and his temples throbbed at the impact. The wound on his abdomen grew warm, throbbing in pain. He had no time to think of this, though. Right now he needed to try to gather himself to attempt to ward off his attacker. Or at least get him to calm down, but as he lifted his eyes to the kid with silver hair he knew it was going to be challenging.

The kid with quick feet and vibrant silver hair stood menacingly over his scrunched up body with his arms wound tightly across his chest, feet apart, and dark eyes so livid with anger he could almost see the kid slowly torturing him. Admittedly, he was scared of this silver haired speedster right now. From what he had witnessed over the week he didn't think the kid could reach any level of anger because he always seemed to goof off or not take things seriously. He guessed that after what he had done to Layla, he struck a nerve. A really bad and pissed off nerve.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't end you here." Peter growled as he lowered himself on his haunches, staring directly at him with wild eyes.

He waited, choosing his next words carefully. He knew that if he was not careful, Peter would react out of his angered state and choose not to listen. Xander was amazed Peter was waiting for him to speak now because he looked ready to throw his weakened body across another tree.

"I want to help get her back." Xander said began with caution lining his tone.

Peter stood quickly, taking one stride toward Xander. "Like hell you do! After what you did, now you want to get her back!"

Xander remained where he was; panic gripped him. Perhaps that was the wrong thing to say. Taking in a painful breath he tried again.

"I made a mistake, I will admit that. It was a terrible, stupid decision, but now I see what I have done. I want to help get her back. I want to make things right. If you end me you'll never know where they took her."

"Really? You're going to play that card and tell me you're the only key to the map? We can just have the Professor track down Stryker using,"

"You can't!" Xander interrupted. "Stryker knows about the Professor and how strong of a telepath he is. He's constantly developing and changing his technology to keep him out, making it more difficult to find him. He doesn't like any mutants."

"And yet you took one right to him!" Peter thundered.

Peter marched toward Xander attempting to throw him again. Using the energy he had left, Xander commanded him to stop. Peter stopped mid-stride, lifting his leg as he attempted to break free. It took him back to Cairo when Apocalypse had glued his foot to the ground. This time his foot was not covered and glued to the ground. Peter grunted in frustration, glaring at Xander.

"You damn asshole!" Peter bit.

"Listen, I know you're pissed off and livid with me! I know everyone here is, but I'm trying to help! I want to get her back just as much as you do! I made a mistake, and I want to make things right! Then once I'm done and we've got her, I will leave! But if you and I keep doing this, keep fighting, it will not help her! Every second and minute we waste, is another day wasted to rescue her and...and if we don't stop it'll only get worse. For all of us." Xander said grimly as he thought about the torture she could be going through right now.

"No," Peter replied icily. "It'll only get worse for you."

"Xander! Peter!" The Professor shouted. Xander watched as the others came running to the backyard.

Peter never took his eyes off of Xander. He waited like a fox waited for a baby bird to drop down from its nest. When the others had arrived, Scott looked at Peter with confused eyes.

"Why, do you look like that?"

"Because he is holding me back."

"Hey, let him go!" Scott shouted.

"And risk him attempting to end me? I don't think so."

"Peter you need to calm down." The Professor advised as he wheeled in front of him.

"How can I when Layla's captor is right in front of me?"

"Because he is our only chance to get her back. He wants to help. He means it. Surely, you must see that too."

"It's kind of hard to at the moment. How am I supposed to trust him or believe he wants to help."

"Because I know what he says is the truth. He means to do well this time. If you can't trust him, Peter trust me. We have to get Layla back and he is our only chance."

Peter searched the Professor's eyes, looking for any false information but he could only see truth. He needed to think, and push some of his anger down. It was hard, especially since Layla's captor sat mere inches from him. He could play along then speed off and take him elsewhere, but what would that do? How would that help the situation? He didn't want to admit it but Xander and the Professor were right. Without Xander, they would get nowhere. Layla would continue to remain at the hands of Stryker who was doing god knows what to her. Closing his eyes, Peter eased himself.

"Fine. Let me go. I'll stop." Peter told Xander.

Xander slowly removed Peter from his hold, releasing him. However in a flash he had sped towards him, socking him right in the nose. Warm blood spilled out of his nose, and down his mouth. His nose throbbed from the pain, but it was deserved. Grinning ear to ear, Peter was satisfied at the sight then stood up holding his hand out. Xander reluctantly accepted the offer, and was helped up. Before he left go, however, Peter gripped his hand tightly, leaning closer to Xander while glaring daggers at him.

"If you try one thing. Just one, I will not hesitate to stop you. And for your sake, you better hope Layla is alive by the time we get to her." Peter growled.