Chapter Six: Get In, Get Out

They had officially entered the Pentagon, and were now walking with a tour group to blend in. Logan, Hank, and Charles remained in the middle of the group, while Layla and Peter lingered in the back. Their job was to get inside the prison, but they had to find the door first. Peter kept running off to find the door, then would come back informing her, he had found nothing. Layla was hardly listening because her attention were on the guards, employees, and tourists inside the Pentagon. If she noticed someone eyeing them strangely, she wiped their minds telling them to forget her and Peter. While she may have looked calm, and collected, she was a ball of nerves on the inside. It was all she could do to keep her hands from visibly shaking. Since they arrived, her hands have been inside her jacket sleeves, gripping the edges tightly. Reality was beginning to sink in for Layla, and she now realized how serious this mission was. For a split second when they arrived, she thought of running away, and never looking back. The thought left just as quickly as it came. She would not be leaving, as much as she still hated doing this. She just kept reminding herself to wipe away memories, and that all of this would be over soon. 

"Okay, I found the door, let's go." Peter said quickly as he grabbed Layla's hand and tugged her along.

Layla swung around, tripping over her feet, while Peter practically dragged her from behind. She kept dodging people left and right, apologizing as she went. She attempted to yank her hand free, but his grip was tight. It had caused attention, and people were watching them. Layla plastered a fake, happy smile on her face hoping to ease people's nerves, as she wiped their memories. It was the same with anyone when she wiped their memories away. Their faces were blank, and their eyes emotionless, until she pulled away. Then they resumed back to life as if nothing happened. It was fascinating yet strange for Layla to see. Only another reminder of what she is. Shaking away her melancholy thoughts, she returned her attention to Speedy, who kept dragging her through the crowd.

"Would you," Layla grunted with disapproval as she tried to yank her hand away again. "I can't move as fast as you, I don't have super speed! And would you let go of my hand!" She hissed quietly behind Peter.

"We're almost there. Besides, you're too slow, and with me we'll get there faster. Of course, you're still lagging in speed, but people will think that we're a couple enjoying the place." He turned flashing her a bright smile. "At least that was the distraction I was aiming for." He said in an unsure tone with his brows drawn.

"Damn it, Peter!" Layla growled angrily. Irritation gripped her, and she grabbed Peter's wrist, yanking him back.

"What?" Peter asked suddenly as he came to a halt. He turned around looking at her with confused eyes, but then his eyes widened in awe as he gazed at her.

Layla was about to give Peter a piece of her mind, until she how much his eyes had widened. His expression went from confused to surprise in a snap. She drew her brows together, and tried to pull her hand away, but Peter wasn't budging.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked feeling uncomfortable.

"Your eyes. That's awesome!" He grinned.

Panic seized Layla, and she changed her eye color quickly. She didn't mean for them to change, but she had let her anger get the best of her, and lost a bit of control. It happened when she was angry, or sad. Most of the time, it was when she was upset or irritated, since that was all she felt it seemed. Layla's gaze travelled back to Peter, who kept staring, and they locked eyes. He just stood there gazing into her eyes, while everyone walked around them. Layla started feeling a bit awkward as he stared at her. She felt like she needed a hat or sunglasses to cover her face. At the same time, she felt nervous, and her body had begun to heat up, and she felt the tips of her ears burning. Peter was staring at her strangely, and she wasn't sure if she liked it or not. His immaturity had vanished, and he looked at her with serious, mature eyes. His dark eyes lowered to his hand holding hers, then he tilted his head to the side a bit as he took one more look at her, before turning back around.