10. The Best Best-Man

HANDLE WITH CARE

10. The Best Best-Man

A N N I E

As soon as Annie heard the knocking on the door her heart plummeted to the bottom of her way too tall heels. Luke and her decided to meet at the clinic as it was closer to the wedding than anywhere else, and it gave Annie a little more time at work to catch up on her files.

It wasn't that she didn't want to go to her clients friends wedding, but she didn't really want to go to her clients friends wedding. She was dressed and had her make up done by Nina, who loved doing her little sisters makeup so she was really good.

Nina forced Annie to have some photos of herself before leaving, considering Annie never ever posted pictures of herself. She still wasn't going to, but she did feel pretty at the moment so she may as well get some pictures.

Annie looked at the weather outside, it was one of those rare winter days where the sky was clear and the sun was glimmering, even with a small cool breeze it was still a wonderful day. It was probably the best outcome for a winter wedding, other than snow of course.

Taking in a deep breath, she opened the door, forgetting just how good Luke looked in a tux. He was obviously checking her out too, but she didn't mind too much as she knew she looked good, and it also gave her more time to look at him.

He had clean shaven for the occasion, his hair slicked back and looking a lot neater than normally. He had a very strong smell of what Annie assumed was expensive aftershave, it was already filling up her lungs and clouding her mind.

"You look stunning," Luke smiled, only a small blush tickling his cheeks as he stepped out of the way for Annie, waiting as she locked her door and carefully made her way to nothing. She shook her head, denying his compliment as her heart started to jump.

She started to walk to where she assumed a car would be, only, there wasn't. Not even an Uber or taxi or something, just the normal Saturday afternoon traffic.

"Are we walking?" Annie questioned, wishing she had worn a different, more comfortable pair of heels if she had known she'd be in them for even longer.

"I thought we could... if that's ok?" Luke scratched at the back of his neck, being careful not to mess up the hairstyle as it took him way over 20 minutes to finally get it in place.

"Surely an Uber would be more efficient?" She raised an eyebrow, seeing as his body started to tense up in dreed and anxiety. "or we could walk... How far away is it?" She rubbed her hands together, her freshly painted nails gleaming in the afternoon sun.

"About a 35 minute walk." Luke shrugged, not thinking it was much of a deal as he walked everywhere nowadays.

"You expect me to walk 35 minutes in these heels? you're crazy. How about we take the bus instead?" She laughed a little, feeling bad for not physically being able to walk that far.

"Um, I don't know, I can just meet you there instead if you want." He mumbled, his hatred for vehicles being a major set back in not only his life, but everyone around him. Annie paused for a moment, turning around and going back into her office to grab something.

Luke thought she was leaving, deciding she didn't want to go to a strangers wedding with her client who can't bring himself to get on anything with wheels.