22. The Comments.

HANDLE WITH CARE

22. The Comments.

ANNIE

Annie wasn't actually too bothered about the fact she walked in on Luke in bed with some woman; the reason she left was because of her innate awkward nature as she had no idea how to handle what she had seen.

She didn't know who the girl was, she didn't really care either, if anything, it was good that the girl intruded on Annie and Luke. Thinking about it, Annie was glad the girl had intervened, because if she didn't they Annie and Luke probably would have kissed at New Years, and who knows, maybe something more would of happened.

Annie couldn't have anything more happen, she didn't want to lose her job and every time she was with Luke she would have the dreadful thought of the repercussions that came along with him.

It was good that he was seeing someone else, kissing some else, liking someone else. Annie felt her chest tighten up and a water droplet fall from her eye, she felt like an idiot. She wasn't going to cry, that would be stupid, she'd be crying over a boy she never had, and never will have.

Checking in the mirror by her front door, she wiped under her eyes and took some deep breathes. Today was her first day at the clinic after New Year's, Christmas time was normally the only time the whole clinic would get a break, otherwise they would take turns throughout the year when necessary. Annie didn't go on holiday, she didn't feel like going alone and she liked her job, she liked helping people.

Today was also Luke's first session this year, and she just hoped he didn't bring up New Years, she'd rather just ignore it all together. Annie got up extra early this morning to make sure she could take Bow and Happy on a long walk, as she wasn't too sure what time she'd get home tonight. Nina often checked in on her lunch breaks to give them a little company and food, Annie was always grateful for her best friend.

Annie got an Uber to work, an hour before her first session so she had time to organise her files, tidy her room and turn the heating on. Maggie was always there bright and early, she liked spending time at the clinic, mostly because she loved meeting new people and making them smile, even if it was for just a moment.

Her time went by routinely, client after client who told her how they spent their holiday, most of them were joyful and a step in the right direction, yet some were lonely and filled with melancholy.

As soon as Annie's digital clock hit 4:00, Luke's familiar knock was sounded from the door. She stood herself up, brushing off the crumbs of a snack she just had before opening the door and inviting him in.

"Can I please explain?" He begged, eyes big with worry as he watched Annie make her way to her chair. Luke sat himself down at the end of the couch, raising his eyebrows at her as he hoped she would give him the time.

"You don't have anything to explain, that wasn't why I left Luke. Whatever you do is your business, you don't have to think about how I will react." She shrugged, placing her hands on her knee, her ponytail swishing to the side as she tilted her head.

"I- Well, I want to just say anyway, she was an old friend, who I forgot to contact again. She was annoyed at me for just 'disappearing from the face of the earth', in her words anyway." Luke cleared up, breathing out a sigh of relief.

"Ok, well, how have you been?" Annie changed the subject. She noticed how he was slightly nervous, she thought it was because of the first session coming back but clearly not.

"Well, I kind of did something." He spoke slowly, chewing on his bottom lip.

"That doesn't sound good... is everything ok?" Annie asked hesitantly, raising an eyebrow. She was starting to grow bored, not in the sense that she was bored of Luke but at the fact that she wanted to get up and run around for a few hours.