Chapter 1

Dear Diary,

Even just writing that is embarrassing. If I cared what people thought of me, the thought of people finding out that I kept a journal would be hideously embarrassing. Good thing I couldn't give a shit what people think or say about me. That's their business, not mine. I wouldn't even be keeping this journal anyway if the school counsellor hadn't told me to. She seems to think that me acting out in class is a 'cry for help' and that by writing a journal I can identify what it is that is really bothering me. But nothing is bothering me, I just like acting out in class. Not any class, just Mrs. Rysteck's class. She knows I'm gay, and she despises me for it, so I like to have a bit of fun. Anyway...

Today is my last first day of high school and I'm pretty keen to be honest. My grades last year were good and if I keep them up this year then I can stay on the school representative soccer team...not that they'd want to get rid of me. I'm their star forward. Every other girl on the team is an incredible player, but they just don't have my speed. I'm not trying to sound conceited, but it's the truth. Last year I was knocked out of the season with a broken ankle in the semi's, and our team ended up not making it to the grand final. Our coach was devastated. He's also the head of the PDHPE department, although there are rumours circulating that he has retired. I hope he still stays coach though, he's a great guy.

If Cara so much as looks at me today, I'm gonna be pissed. She hasn't left me alone since we hooked up, and I want this year to be a fresh start. I know, I know. The whole 'fresh start' shit is such nonsense, but I've stuck to my motto for over a year now. NO GIRLS FROM SCHOOL. It's so much easier to just roll out of bed after they've fallen asleep and get out of there, never having to see them again. I know that sounds cruel, but I always make sure they're on the same page as I am before we hook up...how was I supposed to know Cara would get attached?

Mums car wasn't in the driveway when I last checked so I'm assuming she's on another one of her 'business trips'. She claims her work has been sending her all over the country but I'm almost certain she just leaves to get away from me. Ever since her and my dad got divorced two years ago she has been avoiding me like the plague...probably because I'm practically a spitting image of him, and the fact that I share half of his DNA is enough to make her hate me.

Anyway, I'm bloody starving and I have less than an hour to get to school so I should probably go. I don't really know how to sign off on this, so I guess I'll...cya later? Ok...that was weird.

I closed the journal, opening my desk drawer and chucking it carelessly inside. I quickly stood up from my desk chair, grabbing my uniform that was lazily thrown over the back of it. I hated our school uniform, it was so...preppy. I almost always got dress code violations because I rolled my sleeves or had my shirt untucked, but I honestly didn't care. I threw on my school shirt and skirt, pulling it down to a reasonable length. Normally, I don't wear skirts, but school is different. The shorts they provide are possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen, and whenever I try to wear my soccer shorts instead of the regular skirt or shorts, I get detention. It's ridiculous.

I look to the corner of my room and see my skateboard leaning against the wall. I sigh sadly, not remembering the last time I had ridden it. I fell off it last year and sprained my ankle, leading to me eventually breaking it during a soccer match. My ankle has healed now though, so I decide to skate to school today for the first time in over four months. I live quite close to the school, only taking me about fifteen minutes to skate there. I grab my skateboard and head downstairs, quickly grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl and heading out the door.

The breeze was cool on my face as I rolled down the hill towards my school. Once I arrived at school, I stepped on the tail of my board, flinging it into the air and catching it easily in my left hand. It felt so good to be using my board again. With my backpack on my shoulder and my board under my arm, I trudged through the school gates under the large sign that read 'Varsity Lakes College' and into my homeroom.

"Yo, India!" a voice called, and I was suddenly tackled in a bear hug by one of my best mates, Connor.

"Hey dude," I said, my voice muffled my his arms squeezing me tightly. I wasn't short, standing at 5'8, but his 6'4 frame was enough to dwarf anyone.

"How was your break? I barely saw you!" he asked me, dragging me over to where we sat last year. Connor's last name was Thomas, which meant we were always sat next to each other when we were in alphabetical order...like homeroom.

"I went to visit my dad for a few weeks," I explained, sitting down in my chair.

"How is he going? I miss that guy!" Connor asked.

"At least someone does," I said flatly.

"Come on Indi, he loves you!" Connor said.

"Weekly cheques in the mail isn't love Connor...but he's good. We had a good time," I told him.

Connor and I continued our conversation until our homeroom teacher arrived, taking the roll and then handing out our timetables.

"What have you got today?" Connor asked me, looking down at his timetable with disgust.

"Double Math, English, free period, and then Religion," I sighed.

"Why the hell did you take religion?" he scoffed.

"It's a bludge," I shrugged. It was true, Religion was one of the easiest classes I've ever taken, and although I wasn't religious at all I still managed to get top marks...even if Mrs Rysteck hated my guts.

"I thought she'd ban you from the subject for good after what happened in tenth grade..." he laughed, and I laughed with him. The memory of Mrs Rysteck walking in on me and a senior hooking up on her desk was one of my favourites.

"She yelled prayers as she shooed us out the door!" I laughed loudly, reminiscing fondly at the memory.

The homeroom teacher gave us a stern glare, telling us silently to shut up. Connor and I stifled our laughs, still giggling occasionally. Once the bell rang indicating first period, I walked sadly to my first lesson of the year. Double fucking maths.