Chapter 33

RUBY'S POV

༻✧༺

"Where's my girlfriend?" I heard a familiar voice demand.

"Don't you mean ex girlfriend?" India spat back at them.

Fuck, Maria.

I quickly ran down the stairs, not wanting India to say something that could get me into deep trouble.

"What do you want, Maria?" I asked tiredly, walking up to the door.

"You. I have decided to take you back," she said.

"Sorry, I'm not interested," I said, and India began to close the door in her face.

"No, you listen to me. We are getting back together whether you like it or not," she spat at me before storming her way into the house.

"Yeah, sure, come on in..." India said sarcastically.

"Who even lives here?" Maria snapped.

"I do, and you're not welcome here, so you can leave now!" India said, walking up to Maria and standing directly in front of her.

"Why are you at a student's house, Ruby?" Maria spat at me.

"After school tutoring. She was just about to leave before you showed up!" India spat back before I could think of an answer. Thank god India was a quick thinker, I probably would've blurted out that I was living there.

"Well now that you're done, you can come home with me," Maria said.

"No, Maria. I don't want to be with you. And how the fuck did you even know I was here?" I asked her.

"I drove around until I saw your car. Isn't that proof that I love you?" she said.

"No, that's proof that you're a fucking stalker. You can go now," India snapped, grabbing Maria's arm and dragging her to the door.

Maria tried to slap and scratch at India as she was dragged through the house but India wasn't phased. Once they reached the door India threw Maria out onto the porch, slamming the door in her face. Maria continued to bang on the door and ring the bell until India threatened to call the police. It was only then that she finally left.

"Maybe park your car in the garage from now on..." India said tiredly as she flopped lazily onto the couch.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't even be staying here..." I quickly said, but she put her hand up to silence me.

"No, don't start. We just...things just...you said you didn't want to let me go..." India stammered, looking worriedly up at me.

For the first time since it happened, India brought up the night that we made love. I was scared to talk about it, not knowing where to start. I had well and truly fallen for her, but the illegality of my actions made me terrified to admit it.

"I don't want to let you go," I replied, sitting down next to her on the lounge.

"Then don't say shit like that..." she scolded me.

"India, the other night was...it was perfect. But what we are doing is dangerous. You have six months until you graduate, and after that we don't have to hide," I said.

"I don't want to wait six months though..." India complained.

"Neither do I, but I think we should. I'll still see you every day at school, and God knows how hard it'll be for me not to take you on one of the desks," I said, and she chuckled softly next to me.

"So...you're leaving?" she asked quietly, and I nodded slowly.

"I think it's for the best," I replied.

"You're not going to move back in with Maria are you?" she asked quickly, but I shook my head.

"God, no. India you don't understand. I want you, not her. But things just have to wait for a while..." I said.

I leant forward and pressed a kiss to her forehead. I heard her sigh and she wrapped her arms around me, holding onto me tightly.

"Don't let me go..." she whispered.

"I won't, I promise."

༻✧༺

"So you coach these girls, right?" Kelsey asked me as we made our way to the soccer game.

I'd been living with Kelsey for almost two weeks now and I honestly didn't anticipate missing India as much as I did. Seeing her at school was torture, and every now and then she would do something to tease me. I had even given her a lunchtime detention just so we could be alone together.

"Yeah, I do. They're a great team," I explained.

"And they're playing their rivals today?" Kelsey asked me.

"Yep, it's going to get dirty!" I said.

We pulled up to the soccer field and I went to put on my sunglasses, accidentally poking myself in the eye.

"Ah, fuck!" I hissed.

"What?" Kelsey asked.

"Got myself in the eye with my sunnies..." I whined.

Kelsey leant over and inspected my eye, blowing cold air into it until it felt better.

"Thanks, Kels, you're a real one!" I laughed.

We walked to the sideline and saw the girls warming up, Mr Linder yelling encouragement as they kicked the balls to each other. The ref blew the whistle almost straight after we arrived, and the girls all lined up on the field. I couldn't take my eyes off India, and for once she wasn't focused on me, she was focused fully on the game.

The game began, India and Aimee starting with the ball. India was instantly side tackled by an opponent, knocking her to the ground roughly. India quickly jumped up and got the ball once again, using a quick step over combo to pass it to Aimee.

Fifteen minutes into the game, India scored the first goal. She and Aimee did their famous celebratory dance while the other team ran with the ball to kick off.

"Damn, she's good!" Kelsey said beside me.

"Yep...I know," I smiled. She was more than good, she was the best.

By half time the score was tied 1-1. The girls limped off the field, tired but aggressively wanting more. I could hear the other team yelling insults and jeers from the other side of the field, and Mr Linder had to pull India back from storming over to them.

The second half began and my girls were hyped up and ready to dominate. Aimee managed to get the ball of the other team's forward straight away, kicking it to India who ran with it down the sideline.

"Good work, Indi!" I called, and I felt Kelsey judge me with her elbow.

India booted the ball across the field to Aimee, who kicked it softly to the middle of the field. India ran to meet it, booting it cleanly into the back of the net.

"Yes!" I heard the girls cheer.

The rival goalkeeper grabbed the ball and stormed up to India, throwing the ball purposely at the back of her head.

"Hey!" I called out, "Ref! Do something!"

India turned around and shoved the goalkeeper backwards, yelling loudly at her. Their foreheads were pressed together as they mouthed off at each other, shoving each other roughly. Before it could get too heated the referee had broken it up, sending the goal keeper off the field.

The game finished at 3-1 our way, but even our win couldn't cheer India up. She was silent the entire celebration after the game, and I knew it wasn't just because of the fight. Something else was bothering her and I was determined to find out what.