Chapter 40

RUBY'S POV

༻✧༺

"Baby, we have to make up for lost time!" Maria purred into my ear.

I shuddered at the feeling of her breath on my neck, her fingers making my skin crawl as she ran them up my arm.

"I have a lot of homework to sort though, maybe later..." I said, refusing to turn back from my desk as I pretended to shuffle through paper work.

Without warning, Maria's hands came from behind me and grabbed the paper work, throwing it to the floor with a huff. I turned around and stared at her incredulously, getting out of my chair to face her.

"What was that for?" I asked her angrily, bending down to pick up the papers that were strewn all over the floor.

"Fuck doing the homework, I want you to fuck me instead!" she said seductively, although the tone of her voice made me inwardly cringe.

The woman standing before me held none of my heart, not even a single sliver of it. My entire heart belonged to India Thorn, my student, the girl who I left broken and alone because of reasons I couldn't explain properly. Each time I tried to justify it in my head, I sounded horrible. My intentions were good, but the outcome was not.

Maria began to walk towards me, unbuttoning her top as she did so. She peeled it off and stood in front of me, wearing only a shirt skirt and a black lace bra. Four years ago I would've jumped at the chance to get every item of clothing off of her instantly, but now I felt nothing. Nothing at all.

"I've missed you," she whispered, and I stepped back towards my desk, desperately trying to distance myself from her.

She grabbed my hand and forced it up her skirt, placing my fingers on her ready centre. I let her move my hand against her, but I did nothing myself. I simply stood there, and it didn't take long for her to notice.

"Can you at least pretend you're enjoying this?" she growled angrily, and I snatched my hand away quickly and wiped it on my jeans.

"No, I can't. I'm sorry," I said, turning my back towards her and gathering my things.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" she snapped at me.

"It means I'm sorry for getting your hopes up, but I don't want to be in this relationship anymore. I made a mistake," I said simply.

What happened next was something I was expecting, but could never truly be ready for. Her fist came flying towards my face, connecting with my jaw with a loud crack. Pain shot through the right side of my face as Maria stormed off, and I quickly grabbed my phone and messaged Kelsey.

Me: I'm coming over.

Kels: You ok? See u soon x

I walked into the room I shared with Maria and grabbed my duffle bag, stuffing as many of my things as I could fit into it. After grabbing my car keys I stormed out the door, driving the short distance to Kelsey's house to tell her everything that had happened the past few weeks. I had been holding off for so long, knowing how she would react.

Once I arrived at her building I walked to her door, knocking loudly and yelling at her to let me in.

"Kels, I fucked up!" I yelled through the door.

I heard the lock click and the door opened, Kelsey's amused face appearing.

"I can't wait to hear this," she chuckled evilly, but her face fell when she saw my expression.

"Oh shit girl, what happened?" she asked me, opening the door wider to let me in.

I sighed, walking through the room and sitting down on the couch.

"We're gonna need alcohol for this..." I began, and she sighed before walking to the fridge and collecting some from her stash.

༻✧༺

"So now, here I am..." I finished, exhaling deeply and leaning back into the couch.

"Wow," she said softly, "you really did fuck up."

"I know, and I need your help. I thought I was doing the right thing by ending things with India but now I know I was wrong," I exclaimed.

"You need to tell her how you feel. If she won't listen to you then you'll have to make her. She might not forgive you, but you need to try!" Kelsey said, and I nodded my head slowly.

"I know. God Kels, when she collapsed, I thought I was never going to be able to apologise. I was a mess!" I said, tears welling in my eyes at the mere memory of that horrible day.

"But you can apologise, so do it. And make it worth it."

Before I knew it I was back in my car, speeding towards India's house. I inwardly cursed myself for never getting her number. After fifteen minutes I pulled into her driveway, slamming the door shut and storming up to her doorway. I didn't give myself the chance to back out, to be scared, to run away. The adrenaline that was coursing through my body overpowered everything else I was feeling as I pounded my fist against her door.

I saw a light turn on through the frosted glass of the front door and heard footsteps walking slowly down the stairs. I anxiously swayed back and forth on the balls of my feet, waiting for her to come to the door. I could see her figure looming closer, eventually unlocking the door and opening it slowly.

Her beautiful face appeared through the crack in the door once she opened it and her eyes opened wide. Her lips were parted in shock as she stared at me.

"What are you doing here?" she asked quietly.

"Please, let me explain?" I managed to say.

She didn't say anything. She just stood to the side and opened her door slowly. I walked in, turning to watch her close the door behind her.

"Okay. Start talking..." she said.