Chapter 9

RUBY'S POV

༻✧༺

The bell had just rung for fifth period, the last lesson of the day. It was Friday, meaning we had soccer training afterwards. This was our last training session before the school competition season began and I knew my girls had it in them to win.

Students began filing into the classroom as I got out worksheets for them to work on. I looked up as Aimee and India walked through the door, India smiling at me before taking her seat at the back of the classroom.

Class went smoothly but I had caught India glancing at me every now and then. I tried to ignore it but it was hard not to. She was shameless, and she made me nervous. I wasn't used to feeling like this since I was always the one who initiated the first move. Not with her though, she was different. She was something else altogether.

Once the bell rang I started packing up my things. I watched as the students walked out of the classroom.

"I've gotta quickly talk to Mrs Benson about something, so I'll see you at training?" I heard Aimee say to India before she ran out of the classroom. Finally it was just India and me left alone, and before I could start a conversation with her someone entered true classroom.

"India, we need to talk..." the girl said.

"Do we really though?" India sighed. I pretended to busy myself with papers to act like I wasn't listening.

"Yes, why do you keep ignoring me?" the girl exclaimed.

"Cara, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this but I'm not interested in you. What happened between us was a one time thing, you knew that!" India said angrily. An unfamiliar feeling coursed through my body. India and this girl had slept together?

"I thought you liked me!" Cara whined.

"Cara...you're a nice girl, but I'm not interested. Please just leave me alone!" India sighed, barging past Cara and walking out of my classroom.

Cara sniffed and ran out, running in the opposite direction to what India had gone in. I left it a few minutes before leaving the classroom myself, not wanting to be caught up in whatever they had going on between them.

As I was leaving the room my phone began to ring. I looked and saw the caller ID. It was Maria. We hadn't spoken much since our argument last week.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, when will you be home?" she said shortly.

"Probably around five, I have soccer training today remember?" I explained.

"I told you I don't want you hanging around with female students," she snapped.

"Maria, you're being ridiculous! I'm not going to stop coaching the girls soccer team because of your unreasonable jealousy! We have had this conversation before!" I said angrily.

"You obviously don't love me enough," she hissed through the phone.

"Maria, get a grip. I'll be staying with my parents tonight so don't expect me home. Goodbye," I said, hanging up and throwing my phone into my backpack with a sigh.

I ran my hand through my hair roughly, wondering how our relationship could've possibly gone so bad. I knew it was time to break up with her, but we had been together for so long, we lived together...it was a lot to just throw away.

I turned the corner and began walking to the gym, but stopped dead in my tracks when I saw India leaning against the wall of the classroom, staring at me with an unreadable expression on her face.

"Trouble in paradise?" she questioned.

"Paradise is definitely not what I'd call it," I muttered.

"Does she actually want you to stop coaching us?" she asked me.

"Yeah, she's the jealous type. You'd think after four years she'd have gotten over it, but apparently not," I sighed, running my hand through my hair again.

"You won't stop coaching us though, right? Because you're kind of incredible," India complimented, and I smiled at her.

"No, I won't stop coaching you. You girls are the best team I've ever coached, I'm not letting anything stop us from winning this comp!" I told her seriously.

"And if she breaks up with you because of it?" India questioned.

"Then so be it. Anyway, this isn't an appropriate conversation for us to be having," I said. She was so easy to talk to I forgot that she was my student.

"Right. Sorry," she said awkwardly. We walked in silence to the soccer field and she instantly walked over to Aimee and began telling her what had happened between her and Cara. I just hoped she didn't tell her what she had overheard between me and Maria.

By the time soccer training had ended it was just past five o'clock, and I knew I had a long drive ahead of me to get to my parents house. They lived over an hour away, and I was cursing myself that I had told Maria I would stay there.

"Alright girls, I'll see you next week. Don't forget to bring your gear on Thursday as it's our first game!" I told them.

I began to walk back to my car when I heard a strange sound behind me, almost like a trolley rolling on the gravel. I turned and saw India skating towards me, grinding to a stop beside me and stepping on the tail of her skateboard, catching it easily with her left hand.

"So, back to the rents house now?" she asked me, and I nodded with a grin smile.

"Yep, they live far away. It's going to be a gruelling drive," I told her.

"I know you're going to say that this is inappropriate, but you can always just stay at my house?" India said.

"You're right, that is inappropriate..." I replied.

"It makes sense though, right? I live really close so you won't have to drive back tomorrow. Plus my house has six bedrooms and no one to fill them." she reasoned, and her offer was tempting.

"If Maria knew I was considering this she would absolutely murder me," I muttered.

"Well when you get down to Hell, keep a spot warm for me will you?" she said, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Okay, I'll stay. But don't mention it to anyone, it's not appropriate and I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea," I admitted defeat.

"My lips are sealed," India replied, animatedly running her fingers across her plump lips and throwing away the key.