Chapter 46

"Cara, what the fuck?" I spat at her, taking a step back to create more distance between us.

"You can't tell me you didn't feel something, India!" Cara practically screeched, and I winced at her pitchy tone.

"Yeah, I felt disgusting!" I snapped, not feeling the slightest bit guilty as her face contorted in sadness.

"Seriously, Cara! I've told you so many times to leave me alone. What don't you understand?" I practically growled at her before pushing past her and storming out the doors of the hall.

In the time that it had taken for me to snap at Cara, Ruby had completely disappeared.

"Ru - Miss Rose?" I called out, catching myself incase any of the other teachers heard me.

I continued to call out, but to no avail. She was gone. I swore and groaned as I leant against a nearby pole, the silence of the night broken by the soft hum of the music inside, and then - footsteps.

"Inds!" I heard Connor's voice call.

I span around to see Connor and Scott running towards me, Aimee trailing behind holding her heels in her hands with a look of pain on her face.

"Did we have to fucking run?" she winced, limping over to us slowly.

"What the fuck just happened, Indi?" Scott asked, ignoring Aimee's complaints.

"Cara kissed me and Ruby saw, she stormed out and I can't fucking find her!" I groaned, kicking the pole in anger (and immediately regretting it afterwards).

"But you pushed Cara off you, wouldn't she realise what happened?" Aimee asked me.

"I don't think so, by the time I pushed her off she was already walking out the door. I need to find her!" I croaked, my eyes swimming with tears.

I couldn't lose Ruby, not again. Things between us had been so good for so long and I couldn't cope with losing her once more. We had been through so much already, and it was so close to graduation. Just a few more weeks and we would be free.

"She's probably gone for a drive to clear her head. I'm sure she'll head back to your house soon," Aimee reasoned with me.

I nodded at her, not fully believing her but just hoping that she was right. I sighed loudly and kicked off my heels, sliding my back down the pole until I was sitting on the cold concrete floor.

Connor and Scott desperately wanted to go to the formal afterparty, and after a huge scolding from Aimee - "your best friend and her girlfriend are fighting and all you care about is partying?!" - I told them to go and enjoy their night. Aimee ended up calling us a taxi back to my place, and I desperately hoped that Ruby's car would be in the driveway when we got there.

The taxi ride was mostly silent, Aimee occasionally breaking it to comment on something fun that had happened during the night or to tell me that everything was 'going to be okay'. As we turned the corner to my street my heart sank to my stomach, seeing my car sitting alone in the driveway.

"She's probably still driving around, come on let's just go inside..." Aimee said, taking my hand and dragging me towards my front door.

Walking inside felt empty. The house felt empty. I felt empty. The thought of losing Ruby over something so petty was draining me of any rational and positive thought, and all I could think of was not being able to tell her what actually happened.

"You can cry...if you need to," Aimee said softly, and I just nodded my head before bursting into tears and letting my body be overcome by sobs.

Aimee shuffles forwards and gingerly wrapped her arms around me, pulling my head down to awkwardly rest on her short frame. All that could be heard in my giant house was my sobs, echoing through the emptiness. The sad silence was only broken by the occasional noise - the bark of a dog or the slam of a car door.

The slam of a car door.

Aimee and I broke apart from our hug as we heard keys jingling at the lock of the front door. I wiped my eyes hurriedly, trying desperately to rid my face of any running mascara, but Aimee just chuckled at me.

"You look like shit mate, don't even bother..." she teased.

Aimee quietly made her way over to the staircase and climbed them softly while I stood awkwardly in front of the front door waiting for what I hoped was an incoming explanation.

Ruby's slouched figure finally appeared through the front door, and she closed it loudly and kicked her foot against the dark wood.

"Fuck!" she practically screamed, and I jumped back in shock.

"Ruby..." I croaked out, and she spun around quickly in surprise.

She didn't respond, instead slowly locking the door and then turning toward me. Even in the darkness I could see her eyes shining with tears and full of sadness and anger.

"Ruby...I didn't - ," I began, but she held her hand up to silence me.

"Was this all a game to you?" she asked quietly.

Her voice was void of all emotion. It was empty, and it was heartbreaking.

"Ruby, no! I didn't kiss her, she kissed me! You would've seen me push her off if you hadn't stormed out!" I stammered, stumbling towards her awkwardly to reach her as fast as possible.

"I was pouring a drink and I turn around and see you kissing, what did you expect me to do India? Stand there and watch?" she snapped angrily.

"No, Ruby!" I practically yelled, grasping her shoulders and shaking her slightly. "I pushed her off me, I swear! I don't want anyone but you."

She sighed loudly, exhaling deeply and bringing her hand up to touch one of mine on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry," I croaked out, ignoring the tear that spilled over my cheek. "I didn't know she was going to do that..."

"That hurt me so much, India..." she admitted, and I was saddened but also comforted in realising that I wasn't the only one who was crying.

"I'm so sorry, I won't go near her again. I'll threaten her or something. I don't know...I'll do anything. Ruby - I love you!" I rambled, pulling her close to me and wrapping my arms around her frame.

She melted into my touch and I could feel the tension she was harbouring seep away with each rub of my hand on her back.

"I love you too," she whispered into my neck, kissing it softly.