Chapter 49

"India Thorn," called Mr Geoffrey.

I walked up the stairs and crossed the stage towards where Mr Geoffrey was standing. I shook his hand and took my graduation certificate, turning to face the audience in the auditorium. I could see Aimee, Connor and Scott's families all clapping enthusiastically for me. Down at the front of the auditorium, Mr Cleary was clapping and smiling up at me, Ruby looked like she was about to cry, and Mrs Rysteck's hands remained clasped in her lap, her face contorted in an expression as if her brain was about to implode.

"India has been accepted on a full scholarship to the Australian National University to study sports science, and has been awarded Sports Champion of Varsity Lakes College for 2014."

The audience cheered even louder as Mr Geoffrey handed me a large trophy, my name engraved on the golden plaque at the front. I wasn't expecting to be given any special awards, and I could feel my face turning bright red. I smiled awkwardly at the crowd before descending the steps off the stage and taking my seat in the audience next to Catherine Thatcher. I clapped loudly for Scotty, Connor and Aimee as they were all called onto the stage to receive their graduation certificates, and finally we were all dismissed. Everyone filed noisily out of the auditorium and into the school playground, where students began to cry and hug each other as if this was the last time they would ever see them.

"Thank god that's over," Connor groaned, and the three of us nodded in agreement.

"Alright, time to get back to India's house and start preparing for the party. We have two hours, let's go!" Aimee said excitedly, grabbing my hand and dragging me towards my car.

"Four o'clock at India's house! Be there or get fucked!" Scotty yelled out to everyone, and all the students cheered in response.

༻✧༺

The banner was up, the esky's, fridges and freezers were stocked full of alcohol, the tables were covered in snacks and pizza, the breakables were stashed safely in the spare bedrooms, the light machines and DJ table were set up on the back deck, and the four of us were dressed and ready to party. Ruby had offered to stay at Kelsey's house for the night but I told her to stay home and invite Kelsey over. I wasn't planning on announcing our relationship to everyone right away, but at least she was free to be seen hanging out with us now.

Before anyone else had arrived, Aimee, Con, Scotty and I had had a few drinks so we were quite tipsy. The soccer girls were the first to show up, followed by Scott and Connor's basketball and football friends, and then soon enough the entire house was full of the graduating class of 2014.

"To freedom!" Connor called out, holding up his can of beer.

"To freedom!" everyone chanted back, smashing our drinks together before downing them quickly.

The party was in full swing, everyone was intoxicated, dancing, singing, swimming in the pool or playing beer pong on the deck. I was sitting on the couch with Aimee, Josie and Maddie, drinking ciders and playing High School Musical karaoke.

"Miss Rose! What are you doing here?" Samantha suddenly exclaimed, and I looked up to see Ruby walking towards the front door where Kelsey was standing.

"Oh," Ruby said nervously, but quickly recovered. "Did the invitation Connor called out at school today not extend to teachers?"

"She doesn't even count as a teacher anyway!" Aimee quickly said, jumping up off the couch and walking over to Ruby. "She's basically our age!"

"Come drink with us, Miss!" Josie called out, running over to hug her.

"Uh," Ruby looked awkwardly between Kelsey and me, before shrugging her shoulders. "Sure, why not."

Kelsey walked inside and gave me and Aimee a quick hug before heading to the fridge for a drink. Ruby gave me an apologetic look but I returned it with a wink. The alcohol coursing through my veins made me care less and less about what people thought of our relationship. I handed Ruby a vodka mixer in a red solo cup.

"Drink up, buttercup."

"Behave," she warned me, and I returned her warning with a quick wink before heading back to the couch to continue playing karaoke.

The party continued and I caught glimpses of Ruby and Kelsey throughout the night, talking animatedly with the soccer team or with students from our PDHPE class. We would occasionally catch each other's gaze and send each other suggestive smirks or winks, but otherwise we didn't spend much time in each other's company.

I walked towards the fridge to get myself another drink, but before I could even open it I was knocked to the side, the glass bottle slipping from my hands and smashing to pieces on the ground.

"Woah, watch what the fuck you're doi - ," I began to yell, but stopped in my tracks when I saw what was happening.

Ruby had Cara cornered on the back deck, her eyes almost gleaming red with anger. Cara looked indignant and angry, but that was nothing compared to what Ruby looked like. If Kelsey hadn't been holding her back, I had no doubt Ruby would've been attacking Cara.

"You better shut your fucking mouth before I rip it out!" Ruby snarled at Cara, their faces inches from each other.

"Why do you even give a fuck?" Cara snapped back, trying to push past Ruby.

Ruby grabbed Cara by the shoulders and slammed her back into the wall, her forehead now pressed against Cara's. Even over the loud booming of the music, you could hear every single word. Everyone had stopped to look at what was taking place.

"Because I am sick of your fucking lies. Quit telling everyone that India is your girlfriend. She doesn't fucking want you!" Ruby growled, struggling to get out of Kelsey's grip.

"Ruby, don't worry about her..." I tried to say, stepping slowly towards her.

"Oh!" screamed Cara hysterically, "On a first name basis, are we? What is this, India? I thought you liked me?"

"Cara, I don't know how many times I have to tell you that I really don't like you. We hooked up one time. Once!" I sighed exasperatedly.

"Then why did you invite me tonight?" she asked me.

"Because you are in the same graduation class!" Ruby yelled. "That's it. That's the only reason. She's not your fucking girlfriend!"

"Why do you care?" Cara retorted, gaining confidence and pushing Ruby's shoulders.

"Because she's my fucking girlfriend. Mine!" Ruby screamed.

And then there was silence.

༻✧༺

AUTHORS NOTE
Only a couple more chapters to go. I hope you enjoyed this one! My next update won't be for a little while as I'm still writing the end of this story! In the meantime, please check out my completed works and my newest story previews! ♥️