Chapter 34

"Hey, Japan!" the goalie called.

"It's India, you fucking twat," I called back, not turning to face her.

Suddenly I felt a ball to the back of my head. I stumbled forwards before turning around and marching up to the goalie.

"What the fuck was that?" I snapped at her.

"Maybe if you weren't too busy ogling at your little girlfriend over there, you would've seen it coming!" she hissed.

"Whoever you're talking about, she's not my girlfriend," I spat back.

"Good, because I saw her hooking up with that girl she's with in the car. Sorry, China..." she snarled.

I could barely concentrate for the rest of the game. All I could think about was whether or not the goalkeeper was telling the truth. When the game ended I wasn't even happy we'd won, I just wanted to go home and cry.

"India, what's wrong?" Ruby asked me.

"Nothing," I snapped back.

The rest of the team except for Aimee and I were making their way back to their cars to go home, but Ruby noticed I was pissed off.

"Obviously something is wrong, tell me. Was it the goalkeeper?" she sat down next to me, placing her hand on my knee.

"Don't touch me...please," I said as calmly as I could.

I stood up and grabbed Aimee's hand, dragging her away from me towards the exit of the field. I heard Ruby calling my name but I ignored her, continuing to walk away.

"India, I am your teacher! Stop ignoring me!" Ruby screamed, and I stopped in my tracks and turned slowly.

"You can't choose to be my teacher when you feel like it," I said coldly, turning on my heel and walking away.

Once we were down the road and out of earshot from Ruby and Kelsey, Aimee finally spoke.

"Inds, what was that all about? I thought you were on good terms?" she asked me.

"Well that was before she was hooking up with Kelsey in the car!" I snapped, and Aimee gasped.

"What! Are you serious? When was this?" Aimee asked me.

"Today, at the game!" I said, continuing to walk quickly.

"You saw them?" She asked me.

"No. The goalkeeper told me after she whacked me in the head with the soccer ball," I admitted, and Aimee sighed beside me.

"India, have you stopped to think that maybe she was lying?" Aimee asked me.

I entertained the thought, but I doubted it. What excuse would she have for lying to me?

"Why would she lie?" I said.

"To throw you off your game, to distract you, to try and get her rival team's best player to not be playing her best..." Aimee exclaimed, and I instantly felt stupid.

"Fuck..." I whispered, but I knew it was too late.

I had well and truly fucked up with Ruby, saying things that I knew would upset her. The teacher comment was a low blow and I know she wouldn't readily forgive me. Even after all this time I still didn't have her number, and I didn't know where Kelsey lived. I would have to wait until school tomorrow to confront her and tell her that I was sorry, and explain everything.

"Aimee, she's going to hate me!" I said worriedly, but Aimee put a calming hand on my shoulder.

"She won't if you explain what happened. I'm sure she will understand," Aimee reassured me.

Aimee walked back home with me to my house as she was going to stay the night. As we walked up to my front door there was a small box on the doorstep and an envelope attached to the top.

'India Thorn' was written in my mother's handwriting on the front of the envelope, and I opened it and took out what was inside.

India,

As you've probably realised by now, Varsity Lakes is not the place for me. I have decided to leave my life in Varsity Lakes behind and move on to bigger and better things. Perhaps once you graduate you can join me? I am now living in London and will contact you once I have a permanent address. The house has been put in your name. It is yours to do with what you want, however I urge you to make sensible choices. I'm sorry I couldn't be the mother you needed.

Always,
Mum.

Aimee slowly reached over and pried the letter from my hands, folding it and placing it back in the envelope. She picked up the box and tucked it under her arm, taking the house keys from my hand and opening the door for me. She knew better than to ask how I was feeling, and especially if I wanted to talk about it.

"I'll make us something to eat, then we can invite the boys over for a movie night?" she suggested, and I nodded my head before walking up the stairs.

My mum had left, just like my dad did. I was now alone in this huge house, all by myself. I was barely eighteen, dealing with problems of my own, and now my world felt like it was about to crumble. I didn't know what to do, how to react. Should I scream, cry, break things, throw things? All I wanted was to be wrapped in Ruby's arms, hearing her whisper to me over and over again about how everything was going to be okay.

There was a soft knock at the door and Aimee poked her head in.

"I made us some pasta if you want some. I also messaged the boys. I'm thinking we all skip tomorrow and just have an extended weekend full of fun. Sound good?" she said, a hopeful smile appearing on her face.

"Yeah, that sounds great. Thank you Aimee," I smiled at her.

She walked over to my bed and sat down next to me. I wrapped my arms around her and cuddled into her side, laying my head gently on her shoulder.

"You've gone soft mate," she chuckled, patting my arm slowly.

"Shut up, no I haven't!" I whinged, but she wasn't wrong.

"I guess love does that to you, huh?" she muttered.

"Yep...I guess it does."