Chapter 6

There was a rigid silence between all of you as you flew onward over a large bed of clouds. You kept glancing over at Hiccup worriedly. He looked tense and very frustrated. You knew his thoughts with his father could really stir him up sometimes, but it was also hard to know when he wanted to talk about it and when he wanted silence. Sometimes, Hiccup himself couldn't even decide that. So, you stayed silent, letting him have his time to think. Well, until Hiccup suddenly let out a scream of frustration, punching the air to vent off his anger. Toothless let out a concerned grumbly noise and Hiccup sighed, patting his dragon.

"Don't worry, bud. I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." You frowned a bit, wanting to comfort your boyfriend. You knew it was hard for him. A lot was happening that none of you had expected. While he had grown so much from the timid, clumsy, and partially self-deprecating boy you had once known, there was still a lot that he struggled with. 

You thought for a moment about what to do. It wasn't long before you came to a solution. It was a remedy that had worked on him many times. You leaned in and whispered to Nightshade as she turned back to you. 

"Stay close to us, okay?" She nodded with a small dragon-like bark. You got up and carefully walked along her wing as she glided next to Toothless. You did the same with Toothless and Hiccup looked over at you. He sat up, worried about your risky move, but you were in front of him on the saddle in no time. You sat backward on Toothless, facing him as you got comfortable. 

He looked at you with questioning eyes, wondering what you were doing. You cupped his cheek, softly running your thumb across it. This started to soothe him almost instantly. Your touch was already such a powerful relaxer for him and you weren't afraid to use that fact when it counted. Still, there was more to your plan than just a simple touch and you knew he needed more than that anyway.

"Hiccup, you're the most extraordinary man I've ever met. There's nothing you and Toothless cant do. There's nothing you can't do. I believe in you. I know it's not easy to see eye to eye with your father, but I know what it's like feeling that way about people." He looked to the side, thinking about your words. "Hiccup, I trust you with all my heart, soul, and life. I'm not doubting you, I just want you to be safe. I can't lose you. None of us can." You lightly brushed some hairs out of his face since the wind had caught a few of them somewhat awkwardly. He looked much more relaxed now, his frustration washing away moment by moment. You leaned in closer. "I love you, Hiccup." You whispered, kissing him. He kissed back, holding your body close to his own as his arms wrapped around your waist. It was times like this that you cherished. Even the small things had so much meaning to you. It was clear that Hiccup felt it too. 

When you both pulled away, he smiled lovingly at you, the tension now having completely melted away. "I love you too, (Y/n). I won't let anything happen to you either. I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe." He kissed your forehead, glad to give you the attention he felt you deserved before then glancing at the dragons. "All of you." You smiled at him, happy you could help and proud that he was so determined and loyal to you all. He really did have such a wonderful heart.

"I know." 

The peace was short-lived as, suddenly, you saw something poking up out of the clouds on the other side of Toothless. Toothless noticed too and growled slightly. Hiccup thought it was his Dad, but you knew it wasn't. He still snapped a retort before he got a good look at the stranger.

"Oh come on, Dad! Really!?" It was then he realized that it wasn't Stoick. Hiccup instinctually held you closer. The person disappeared beneath the clouds.

"Uh...Hiccup...?" You asked, frightened as a new tension quickly consumed the both of you.

"Okay, everyone. No sudden moves." You held onto him, looking around and he gripped Toothless' saddle, making sure both of you weren't going to fall off. It was too risky for either of you to move out of the position you were in let alone for you to try and get back on Nightshade. Then, a dragon burst out from the clouds, and Toothless was forced to hover instead of fly forward. The dragon and its' rider circled you four before stopping in front of you. 

"Hold on. Hold on." Hiccup told Toothless, not taking his eyes off of the strange dragon and rider. You held onto him tightly, scared. Is that Drago? What if they try to kill us? You wondered worriedly. Toothless growled at the other dragon and it let out a surprised roar at him. You looked behind Hiccup and gasped.

"LOOK OUT!!" You exclaimed. He turned, but it was too late to move. Hiccup was grabbed and you screamed as you and Toothless began to fall. Nightshade roared in shock and worry and dove after you both.

"TOOTHLESS!! (Y/N)!!" Hiccup screamed out for you both. You suddenly felt claws grip your arms. You shrieked as another dragon grabbed you. Toothless, however, plummeted into the ice.

"Toothless!" Nightshade didn't know who to go after. "Help Toothless! Come and get us after he's safe!" You shouted to her as you were carried away. She roared, wanting to go after you, but obeying your order and diving down to help save Toothless from drowning. "Good girl." Now it was your turn to be worried about yourself. You remembered that Hiccup was captured as well. You heard a shout.

"(Y/n)!?" You looked up and saw Hiccup searching the dragons for you, clear terror in his eyes. 

"I'm here!" You called. He looked back and down at you. He sighed in relief, muttering a 'thank the gods' under his breath.

"Are you alright!?" 

"I'm fine!" He nodded and looked back toward the leader of these dragons. 

"Hey! You left my dragon back there! He can't fly on his own! He'll drown!" Hiccup called, but nothing happened. You were taken into a network of caves and such before being dropped off together in the midst of a circle of dragons. "We have to head back for our dragons!" Hiccup called, but a dragon was growling at him threateningly. He took out the inferno and the dragon became less hostile. You stayed behind him. Another dragon hissed at him from behind. You both turned and he made a ring of Zippleback gas around the both of you before igniting it. The dragons relaxed and he confidently began to walk up to it with his hand stretched out. You kept close to him. The stranger, however, had been watching and stopped the both of you. "Stay behind me." Hiccup whispered. You nodded. "Who are you?" Hiccup began to question. "The Dragon Thief? Drago Bludvist? Do you even understand what I'm saying?" He asked. The warrior spun their staff around and hit the ground with it. Two dragons suddenly came out carrying Nightshade and Toothless. You both rushed to your according dragons.

"Nightshade!" 

"Toothless!" 

"I'm so glad you're okay, girl."

"It's okay. I'm glad to see you, too, bud. You really had me worried there." Hiccup said to Toothless who let out a relieved dragon-like purr toward him. Nightshade curled her long slender body around you protectively, glaring at the other dragons. The warrior order the dragons to light up the area. That set Nightshade off. Her pincers came out and she made her hiss like roar noise at them. The stranger looked toward you both instead. She pointed her staff right in the middle of Nightshade's head. Nightshade suddenly froze, staring at the staff. The stranger moved it back and forth and Nightshade's head followed it until her eyes drooped, pincers went away and she collapsed onto the ground, letting our purr like snoring noises. You stared at her and the stranger in disbelief. I didn't know you could do that. You thought.

The stranger turned back to Hiccup and Toothless. Toothless hissed at them, but he was down in seconds as well. Hiccup looked even more stunned now and the stranger got closer looking at him and reaching out their hand. They pulled back once they noticed a little scar on his face.

"Hiccup?" They finally spoke. He looked confused and stunned. 

"Uh..." They took off the helmet, revealing that it was a woman.

"Could it be? After all these years...how is it possible?" 

"Should...should I know you?" He asked.

"No. You were only a babe." You looked at them, stunned. It clicked almost instantly as you started to see the similarities. No way...is it even possible? Your suspicion was confirmed but what the woman said next. "But a mother never forgets."