Chapter 14

"May the Valkyries welcome you, and lead you through Odin's great battlefield. May they sing your name with love and fury, so that we may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla...and know that you've taken your rightful place at the table of kings. For a great man has fallen. A warrior. A chieftain. A father. A friend."

"And may we all continue to carry on our paths as the guardians of our people for so has a fellow warrior of our ranks fallen. A daughter. A sister. A fighter. A protector. Our family." As Gobber and Runa finished speaking, you and Hiccup stood side by side. You both looked at each other. You saw the heavy grief in Hiccup's eyes. You masked your own a bit better, but you knew he could see through your mask. 

You both turned toward the ship, arrows ablaze, and pulled them back. You fired them at the same time. They soared through the air and landed on the ship. The others followed after you, firing their own arrows. Soon, the ship was a sailing ball of fire. I'm sorry, Cala. I wish I could've done more. I wish I could've been a better sister for you. I wish I had known about Runa. I could've helped you. I'm so sorry.

As you felt your guilt swarming your body and heart, you let yourself close your eyes. You stood there, doing nothing. You felt a few tears escape your eyes. Suddenly, Hiccup's voice brought you back to the present. 

"I'm sorry, Dad. I'm not the chief that you wanted me to be. And I'm not the peacekeeper I thought I was. I don't know..." Hiccup stopped, not even knowing what else to say. Valka walked up to him.

"You came early into this world. You were such a wee thing. So frail, so fragile. I feared you wouldn't make it. But your father...he never doubted. He always said you'd become the strongest of them all. And he was right. You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon. Only you can bring our worlds together. That is who you are, son." She told him. He looked away from her and back toward the ship. He stood there alone.

"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great? That brave? That selfless? I guess you can only try." Hiccup said. You smiled slightly. He turned, his gaze become fierce with determination. "A chief protects his own. We're going back." 

"Uh...with what?" Tuff asked.

"He took all the dragons." Ruff added. Hiccup grinned.

"Not all of them." Runa smiled.

"Of course!" 

"What?" Ash asked.

"The babies!" She began to run back to the ice fortress. You grinned, your heart lifting with hope. You looked at Hiccup and he smiled at you. There's still a chance! You took off running with the others. You all made it inside and Valka and Runa lead you through the caverns to the main sanctuary. 

"Runa, would you do the honors?" Valka asked.

"Of course." She replied. She cleared her throat and let out a dragon call. All of the babies came racing over, excited.

"Oh, so they respond to you?" You asked teasingly.

"I have a thing with babies, honestly. I spend a lot of time with them. Some of the mothers honestly leave them with me as a babysitter!" She laughed. 

The others began to get on the baby dragons, struggling a bit. Runa helped them, calming the babies and making them easier to handle. You chuckled, before looking around for Hiccup in the mess of the scaly balls of energy and excitement. You spotted him soon enough. Before Hiccup could get on one, you pulled him aside. He looked confused.

"(Y/n)? What's wro-" You kissed him full force. While you were ready to get your dragons and your home back, you were always afraid before the fight. You were never afraid of losing or afraid for yourself, you were afraid for everyone else, especially him and the rest of your family. Hiccup knew this, yet you always took him off-guard at times like this. 

He was shocked, but he quickly returned the gesture, his lips moving in sync with yours. It was brief, but it was powerful. It shared everything you needed to. It was a langue the two of you had created only for each other. You pulled back after a few swift yet passionate moments of affection. Your shimmering (e/c) eyes met his fierce forest green eyes. 

"Hiccup...I'm scared. I can't lose you." His face fell in sympathy. He had already known what you were thinking, but hearing you say it only made it more real. Even though he was always worried for you in the same ways, he also knew what you needed to hear. The words had been said many times over the years and throughout your adventures, but you both never regretted saying them and you for sure never got tired of hearing them. 

He cupped your cheek gently in a way only he could. It was such a simple gesture, but there was something more to it when it was him. It was his touch that had the most effect on you, and the same could be said of the reverse. 

"You won't."

"But-"

"(Y/n)," He cut you off. His hand met yours as your fingers intertwined together. "I will never leave you. Just promise to do the same for me, okay?" You smiled.

"You know I've already promised that a million times, Hiccup." He smiled lovingly at you, his eyes looking into yours with a sense of caring and kindness only meant for you.

"I know. So I shouldn't have to remind you, princess." You blushed. 

"Yeah, well, you also know how am I. What else do you expect, Dragon Master?" You both chuckled lightly. He began to lean in again and you started as well, but then,

"Hey! Lovebirds! We gotta get movin' here!" You both turned as you heard Gobber shout at you. The others were also watching and snickering to themselves as you both were called out. You blushed a bit and Hiccup cleared his throat somewhat awkwardly. 

"We're right behind you, alright?" You shot back. You turned to Hiccup and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Lead the way, hotshot." He smiled again. 

"I thought you said you were in charge earlier." You rolled your eyes.

"I will be if you don't get moving." You teased back, mounting your own baby dragon. Hiccup chuckled and mounted his own before he lead the way out of the now-abandoned sanctuary. 

Flying the babies was harder for the others, but you, Runa, and Kent to your surprise were very good with them and flew along easily. It was a bit bumpier, but it was far better than the others. You all had to do your best to control them, but at least they could get you from point A to point B. It was kind of fun to have a ride be a bit more wild and exciting, in your personal opinion, but you kept it to yourself.

"We can't fly these things!" Tuff shouted.

"They're babies! They don't listen to anyone!" Hiccup called back.

"Just like us!" Tuff laughed. 

"This seems very dangerous!" Gobber exclaimed. "Some might suggest this is poorly conceived!" 

"Well, it's a good thing that I never listen." Hiccup replied.

"So, *pause* what IS your *pause* plan?" Gobber had to pause because of the icebergs you were all flying past.

"Get Toothless back and kick Drago's-" Hiccup cut off also because of an iceberg.

"Heads up!" Gobber called, avoiding another chunk of ice.

"And that thing..." Hiccup said as most of the babies dodged the ice piece, but Gobber ran straight into it. You all kept flying until you made it out. Ash came closer to you.

"Sis," You looked over at him. "what are you thinking we do?" 

"We have to distract our dragons so Hiccup can get to Toothless. They're all guarding him. It's going to be tough, but I know we can do it."

"Are you sure about this, (Y/n)?" Zane asked, coming up on your other side.

"I trust her," Runa said, being on your top left.

"Me too!" Carl agreed, coming from your top right.

"It's the only shot we have." Kent agreed, pulling up behind you. You nodded.

"We have to try. It's all we can do, and that's all I can promise, but we just have to try."