Chapter 9

You watched as the son and mother hugged for a few moments. You smiled, happy to see them together. It was then you felt a pang in your heart, however. You were beginning to miss your own family. You looked at Hiccup and Valka, realizing that, even if you did like the idea of exploring with them, it was something you weren't able to do. I can't stay with them. I need to go home. My brothers are probably worried sick about me. But...what am I going to tell Hiccup? 

The two pulled away and Hiccup was smiling. He looked so happy with his mother. They were a great team. The greatest dragon masters of their time. You frowned a bit. What if instead of being chief he wants to stay here with her? I can't just stay. I have my family and my home to protect. That's my JOB. You thought, becoming worried. Meanwhile, Hiccup said,

"This is so great! Now you and I can go talk to Drago together!"

"What? There's no talking to Drago." Valka replied.

"But we have to-"

"No. We must protect our own." You looked at her, your brows furrowing at the familiarity of her words. A chief protects his own... You remembered Stoick had said that. It only proved your point more. I need to protect my family and my home. 

Neither of them noticed your own internal conflict. "Now come on, we should be getting back," Valka said. Hiccup turned to Toothless, who still had a huge smile on his face, clearly still super excited about his fins. Even through your concern, you still chuckled at the big silly dragon. 

You hopped on Nightshade and Hiccup and Valka got on their own dragons. They took off and you and Nightshade flew after them. As you followed them, lagging behind a bit, Nightshade noticed your change in attitude. She let out a concerned dragon-like bark and your eyes met her icy blue ones. You sighed.

"He...he's happy here, but...we need to go home." Nightshade let out a dragon-like purr of understanding. "I...I don't know what's going to happen, Nightshade." You replied honestly. You looked forward at Hiccup and Valka, still talking as you all headed back. "If Hiccup wants to stay...then...we might have to say goodbye."

Third Person POV

Meanwhile, with the rest of the gang and Eret, they were just arriving at Drago's hideout. They landed and Stormfly dropped Eret. He tried to run, but Stormfly landed on him, pinning him to the snow-covered ground.

"Agghh! Okay! I got you here, now get this thing off me!" 

"Never take a toy from a dragon. Don't you know anything?" Arrow asked, grinning a bit.

"Gah! Why does this keep happening to me?" Eret said as Stormfly brooded over him like a mother dragon keeping her eggs warm. The others made it to the edge of the cliff. Drago's fleet was below them as the gang surveyed everything. There was something making huge bubbles by the ships that none of the riders could make out.

"What's down there?" Arrow asked.

"Whatever it is, it's gotta be pretty big," Kent said.

"Guys, I'm telling you we need to get out of here! Drago is bad news!" Cala insisted.

"Relax, Cala! Nobody even knows we're here!" Ash whisper shouted.

"What do you think it could be, Fighlegs?" Kent asked. They were the two dragon class experts and Fighlegs had his cards with him. He took them out and started analyzing the possibilities. 

"Large diameter bubbles, massive lungs, cold water deep dweller, I'm thinking class five Leviathan, maybe six." Fishlegs described. 

"Do you think it's any dragon we've encountered before?" Zane asked.