Chapter 4: Fighting For Freedom

"Imani? Are you ok?" I heard Sparrow nickered a hint of concern and worry in his voice. I stayed quiet only nodding but I could tell he didn't believe me. Walking over to him my head hung low and my ears down against my head. "What's wrong Imani?" Sparrow asked looking at me. "I...I was just remembering my home." I answered another tear running down my face. "who did you get taken away from?" he asked. I was shocked at his question. "I was taken away from my brother" my mind showed me more flashing pictures of Flash galloping everywhere searching endlessly for me. I could see the upset look in his dark lapiz eyes and I could hear his sorrowful neighs calling my name only to be responded by silence. I could hear the rejoicing neighs of the herd including my father of my disappearance, the only neigh that wasn't rejoiceful was Flashes which only had sorrow and disappointment in it. "He meant a lot to you didn't he?" Sparrows voice brought me back to the in closed pastures. "He meant the world to me." I said looking at the ground. "he was the only one who I considered family" I added. I saw the shock on Sparrows face when I looked at him. "You didn't have any other family in your herd?" he asked tilting his head. I pinned my ears thinking about what he said. "no... They all hated me... even my father." We were both silent for a while before Sparrow broke it. "I was taken away from my mother" he nickered. I looked at his light blue eyes as I could see he was remembering the past like I was. "I'm very sorry" I said a hint of sadness in my voice. "You were wild?" I asked and he looked at me for a brief moment before looking to some trees. "yes I was wild at a time. But that was taken from me two years ago" he nickered. I couldn't believe it, he was here for 2 years under the control of humans away from his family. "Why do you stay here under the control of these humans" I asked. He thought for a little before answering "I'm being sold but no one has wanted me so I was kept and I'm to far away from my home to escape and run there." He lowered his ears. "I'm very sorry Sparrow" I nickered lowering my head and ears.

He was about to speak when the gate into my pasture swung open. I snorted seeing the men coming to me with ropes and other equipment. "Okay girl, today you'll be broken" the man with a green jacket said holding a rope. "RUN IMANI" Sparrow neighed and I bolted to the far end of the pasture. I looked back seeing the men running after me, the one with the green jacket was swing his rope then I saw it fly towards me. I skidded to a halt and quickly turned the other way. "Argh! Come on!!" The man shouted in anger. I looked towards Sparrow and saw the other three were beside him watching. I didn't see another rope flying towards my head till it was too late. I was caught... again. "Finally. Man your a high spirited horse ain't Cha" the man with the green jacket said as I bucked and reared. "Great work Max. Alright lets get her ready to break" another said. "Thanks Joey. Let's hurry before she breaks the rope and her neck" max said as he and Joey pulled me to a small closed in square box.

                       Once I was in, they put strange equipment on my back and forced something on my face

                       Once I was in, they put strange equipment on my back and forced something on my face. The metal in my mouth was cold and it hurt as max got on my back and pulled the ropes which pulled the metal thing up in my mouth. "Steady girl" max said and I snorted. I looked towards Sparrow, Spartan,Silver, and Flake before I heard Sparrow neigh "GIVE THEM A RIDE OF A LIFETIME!!!" Once I heard the gate lock click I busted open the gate bucking. I reared and buck for a while till I threw max off my back. I saw him land hard on the ground and heard the others neigh laughing at max who's face was in the dirt. Max groaned as he was helped up by Joey and someone else. Joey tried me next only to be thrown into the pond. Max and Joey tried again and again but were either thrown into the pond and mud for a soft landing or thrown onto the hard ground. I wondered why these men kept trying if they knew they would be thrown off again and again. This went on for at least an hour. "How are we going to break her? She's too wild, how will we be able to sell her?"max asked as he got up from the ground. I snorted charging after him hearing they wanted to sell me and he ran out of the pasture where I couldn't hurt him. "We're just gonna have to lie about that. She'll be worth a good hundred dollars" a man said standing outside the pasture. I looked at him and he smirked before walking away.

               It took another hour for the men to be able to take off the things hey had on me. It felt great to have the metal thing out of my mouth and the weird seat off my back. Once they had left I trotted to the fence where Sparrow, Silver, and Flake were standing. "That was incredible!" Flake neighed her ears perk and her voice full of excitement. "I've never seen any horse be able to buck them off and make them give up!" Silver exclaimed. "Thanks, All it takes is the determination to be free and the strength to fight for freedom. When I looked at Sparrow he seemed to be thinking about the words I said. I heard him mumble "fighting for freedom."