The Storming of the Gates

Gerudo Town was plagued with a rainless storm all night. Saiota made sure of it. This power inside of her, she could no longer be afraid of it. It was apart of her now, it was her blood, her bones, her muscles, her brain. It made up her body, and she intended to use it.

She and Link climbed down the mountain that day, Resem had decided to head for Hyrule and try to gather reinforcements, gather former soldiers and fellow Gerudo. She would return for weeks, probably months, but it was the best they could do.

As usual, she and Link didn't talk much, just climb, one foot after the other, and then they would trudge silently in the sands. As they marched across the desert, a sandstorm had surrounded them, followed them, blocked them from view. She had no doubt this was her own doing.

It took them no less than a couple of days to cross the desert, and at last, they had reached Gerudo Town. It didn't even look remotely familiar. A large stone wall surrounded the inside, and a small, Hyrulean-style castle stood strong inside the walls. She could see lines of houses inside, and there seemed like no kind of outside irrigation system. How were they getting water all the way out here? They had made it much larger, and it looked double, maybe even triple the size of the old Gerudo Town. Red banners lined the walls.

Link continued marching straight for the walls when Saiota pulled him back.

"Wait," she hissed, "I want to get in more you do, but wait. We have no idea what to expect. It's only the two of us against all of them,"

And then she paused and rethought her words. Yes, there was only two of them, but it was them. Saiota, probably the most powerful Gerudo in all of history, and Link, Hyrule's legendary hero. She liked their chances.

Slowly a grin spread across her face.

"Let's storm the gates,"

Link smiled determinedly with her.

It began with the storm. She covered the city with a sandstorm to block their vision, and along with that lightning struck the town, she made sure that none of the bolts hit the housing district.

And then she and Link stood side by side as the gates swung open. It looked like 4 voe stood guard, and they died with a simple snap as lightning took the life from their bodies. They continued.

It was hard to not think of the day she lost everything. Helplessly watching as Ganondorf walked through the town and killed every last soldier in his way, and now their roles had reversed.

Anytime she had missed someone with a bolt of lightning or some voe had tried to stab her from the back, Link always stopped them. As they marched through town, unstoppable, she slowly felt this power ebbing away, as if drained. It was funny, she had never tried to use it to it's max like this before.

As they finally approached the small fortress at the end of the city, she felt completely drained. The storm faded away, and several voe attacked from all sides, now being able to see the two of them. Link defeated them all as she collapsed, covered in sweat and feeling completely limp. She just wanted to close her eyes and rest, but she couldn't, not here, not now. Not when she was so close to Ganon.

Link shook her, keeping her awake as she lay flat against the ground, the galaxy shining beautifully above her.

"Keep going," she groaned softly, "I'm done,"

"You have to keep fighting," Link said slowly, "You have to fight for them," he nodded his head towards the rest of the town.

She rolled her head over to where Link was pointing. A group of people had gotten out of their houses and formed a crowd in the square, watching her with admiration in their eyes, but also worry. She locked eyes with a young vai, seeing the innocent glint and the way she clutched her mother.