The Wandmaker's Granddaughter Is Sorted

The train came to a stop on a dim, hazy platform.  The students poured out of the train stepping into the misty night.  The sound of nerves and excitement rose as friends talked excitedly about the coming year.  Above all the excitement a loud booming voice could be heard, "First years this way."

A large man carrying a lamp bobbed up and down above the sea of students.  Amelia, James, and Lucy, who were caught in the waves of people walking this way and that, struggled to turn and look at the man.  James finally managed to see his face and said, "It's Hagrid."

They pushed and weaved their way through the throng.  Finally making their way into the group of other first years crowded at the feet of Hagrid, the groundskeeper and teacher of Magical Creatures. 

"Hello Hagrid," James said catching Hagrid's eye.  Hagrid smiled.

"James, you're all grown up now aren't you, I remember when you're dad was starting his first year at Hogwarts," Hagrid said looking over the crowd of fresh faces he saw Amelia and stopped.  "Amelia, is it your year already?  I remember when you was just a little tyke running about the wand shop giving your grandfather a real handful."

"Hello Hagrid," Amelia replied with a smile.  Lucy, on the other hand was staring in awe at Hagrid.

"Are you a giant?" Lucy asked.

"Half giant on me mum's side," Hagrid said proudly.  "Are we all here?  Well we've got to get going anyway."

The group of first years followed Hagrid from the platform leaving behind the last minute stragglers and baggage handlers.  Lucy leaned into James.

"He's really part giant?  There are really giants?" she asked in a hushed tone.

"Of course there are giants," he laughed but with a bit of nerves behind it.

"Have you ever seen Hogwarts?" Lucy asked James.

"No, not that I can remember.  Mum and dad said they brought me when I was a baby, but not since then," he said rubbing his hands down his robes.  Lucy turned to Amelia.

"Have you seen Hogwarts?" she asked.

"Yeah, grandfather has a shop in Hogsmeade, so we've visited sometimes," Amelia said as gasps could be heard in the front of the group.  "There it is."

They passed into a clearing in the trees, and there Hogwarts stood, in all it's medieval grandeur.  The lake surrounding was foggy in the unusually cool September air.  Mist and fog mixed to create the illusion that the castle was floating on a cloud.  The lights flickered and shone catching in the mist and making it look like the entire castle was glowing through the darkness.  A breeze blew through the trees rustling the scent of pine into the air. 

"Awesome," Lucy said.

"Keep up all of you, there's plenty more to see," Hagrid said leading on through the darkness.  The first years made their way to the lake where a small fleet of boats were awaiting them.  Hagrid climbed into the front boat while the students scrambled to find seats in the other boats.  Once everyone had been seated there was a pause.

"Do we need to start rowing?" Lucy asked James who also looked uncertain. 

"Is everyone ready?" Hagrid asked.  "Let's be off."

The boats all jerked forward and if anyone had been standing they would have been swimming to the castle. 

"Mind yourselves, I don't want to have to pick anyone out of the lake again," Hagrid said. 

The castle grew bigger and bigger looming over the first years and Hagrid who was minuscule in comparison.  As the boats made their way under the cliffs of the castle Hagrid yelled out, "Mind your heads."