The Wandmaker's Granddaughter Finishes What she Starts

As the days passed, it grew harder for Amelia to fall asleep.  Thoughts of the voice kept her awake well into the night studying or practicing.  Amelia would find herself falling asleep in random hidden coves of the castle just to feel safe.  Some nights she would spend on top of the astronomy tower while other nights she would hide in the back corner of the dungeons. 

No matter where she hid though, it kept finding her. 

Amelia was very careful to keep anyone from finding out about the voice. After the first run in with Professor Longbottom she claimed it was just a dream, a very real dream. Her friends lost interest and the busyness of school and dueling club became the main focuses. But, no matter how afraid of the voice Amelia was, she was more afraid of being sent to St. Mungo's hospital. She knew if she told anyone about her dreams that's where she would be sent.

November was almost over now and the cold was beginning to engulf the castle.  Fires roared in the great hall and common rooms as the students hurried from class to class bundled in winter cloaks and woolen scarves.  The castle groaned and screamed every night as the winds whipped through the corridors.

The dueling club rooms seemed to be the only stiflingly hot rooms in the entire castle.  The club members were working tirelessly, against the wishes of their professors, in order to prepare for their first dueling tournament of the year.  The first years, several of which had quit under the pressure, anxiously practiced their shield charms and quick fire curses. 

Amelia stood watching a practice duel between two fourth years while the rest of the first years had taken over the dummy statues. 

"What do you think?" Professor Longbottom said startling Amelia, which in turn startled the professor.  Amelia composed herself before thinking about the match at hand.

"They don't defend as much as they could," Amelia said quietly, watching them duel.

"I find most Gryffindors are far too eager to be on the offensive rather than the defensive." He said turning to look down at Amelia.  "Are you nervous for the match?"

"Not very.  There are plenty of other things to be afraid of," Amelia said.  The duel on the stage ended and Amelia went up to face a third year.

Then, the day came. 

The stage was set.

The crowds began to gather for the first dueling tournament of the year.  Amelia sat with the rest of the Gryffindor dueling team.  James rubbed his hands along his robes absentmindedly while Lucy kept talking about nothing of much importance more to herself than to anyone else.

Amelia was silent.  Watching all of the possible opponents in first, second, or third year from every house.  She recalled every wand individually to herself, memorizing the people she could face.  She caught Nero's gaze across the room.  For the last month they had silently agreed to wait until this moment to finish what they had started.

The crowd began to settle and the first opponents were drawn at random.  Amelia was put up against a second year Hufflepuff while Lucy and James were both assigned to first year Ravenclaws. 

The first pair was called up and while the older students, who weren't to compete until the next day, watched curiously.  The younger participants sat and waited in agony.  The first pair ended then the second and third until finally, very close to sun down, there were only two people left.

Amelia and Nero had beaten every other opponent in their way.  They had made heads turn with their speed and accuracy.  Amelia played against every Gryffindor stereotype of attacking first by waiting and analyzing her opponents, just like a lion waiting to attack.  Nero showed off his sudden surprise attacks no one saw coming, just like a snake.

The entire school held their breathes as Amelia and Nero walked up and faced each other. 

Amelia's blue and black eyes met Nero's dark brown ones as they stared into the others soul.  They watched each other with careful calculation as they bowed.  Then, turning and walking to their respective sides of the platform and waiting for the start.

The room was silent.

Nobody breathed. 

No wind blew. 

Amelia stared down her prey as Nero sized up his first attack.

"Begin"

Nero struck first.  A shot of blue lit the still room.

Amelia, though, was already a step a head.  She had thrown a protection charm first before sending a spray of red and gold flying as fast as light towards Nero.

With a flourish he rebounded Amelia's spell back at her. 

As Amelia blocked Nero sent another spell of emerald green hissing through the air.  But it was met in the middle by a counter spell thrown by Amelia.

Nero struck another attack that was again dodged and countered by Amelia. 

Every time it seemed that Nero was leading, Amelia equaled it with ease. 

The match continued.  Spell after spell.  Counter after counter. 

Nero paused for a split second and that was all Amelia needed.  The moment that Nero's wand lowered a fraction Amelia pounced with two spells shot in rapid succession. 

Nero slid off the end of the platform and everyone paused trying to take in what had just happened.

Then the Gryffindors began to cheer.

Everyone cheered at such an astounding performance.  To think that it was all at the hands of a couple of first years as well. Amelia stood a little taller as she and Nero bowed to each other and Amelia was called the winner.

Lucy and Athena ran up to Amelia throwing their arms around her. Gryffindors clapped Amelia on the back and gave her huge hugs and high fives. Since the re-establishment of the dueling clubs, a Gryffindor had only won the first junior competition one other time.

The Gryffindors began their celebration on the way out of the great hall. Amelia walked between Lucy, who couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear, and James, who trudged a bit from loosing his first round match. As they left the hall Amelia heard someone call her name.

Amelia, Lucy, and James turned to see Nero standing waiting for them outside the great hall.

"Good match Nero," Amelia said as the rest of the Gryffindors left the great hall and went to the dorms.

"You're a good opponent Ollivander, but next time I'll be the winner," Nero said.

"Good luck, you wont be the only one practicing," Amelia said with a small smile.

"I hope you can help your friends too. Their skills are rather inferior," Nero said looking directly at James. "I bet your parents will be disappointed."

"You better watch out," James said talking a few steps towards Nero.

"James," Lucy said pulling him back. Amelia thought for a moment watching how upset James was.

"I could say the same for you Nero," Amelia said quietly surprising everyone. "Maybe next time you could actually make me break a sweat."

Nero glared at Amelia who internally shrank back into her shell, knowing she'd taken it too far.

"We'll see," Nero said narrowing his eyes and turning to leave.

Once he was gone Amelia turned to James, "Are you all right?"

"Whatever," James said walking away without them. Lucy wrapped an arm around Amelia before they began the long walk up to the common room where, at that very moment, a huge party was being thrown in Amelia's honor. James disappeared into his room while the rest of Gryffindor tower partied just passed curfew.